XPEnology Community

What now that we cant successfully update past 6.2.3? What about ver. 7? What has history shown us regarding this?

Captainfingerbang

Question

At least on Baremetal, i don't see any option to safely update to 6.2.4 unless i am missing something

I haven't been on Xpen long enough (still sort of newbie) to have been around for the history of Xpen and instances where we couldn't update successfully. At least for this long, seems like its been months since we could update. 

• What do we do? Just patiently wait? Which is fine... See if someone can fix/patch? Go to another platform?
  • Did Synology possibly do this to kill the Xpenology project? (maybe a silly question)
  • What are the chances I wake up one morning and get an automatic update and be bricked? How can I prevent auto/background updates besides simply update settings in DSM?
  • In the past, in instances where Synology updated software that Xpen did not like, and people couldn't successfully update, how long did people wait to update (until someone fixed loader i assume) their Xpen builds, years? How many years, or how long did it take to fix?
  • What are the chances that we'll be able to update past 6.2.3? 
  • What are the potential problems with staying on 6.2.3 besides not being able to get latest package updates?
  • Is it completely fine to stay on 6.2.3 for a long long time, should i not worry about it?

6 answers to this question

You can find more info here. I do not know if this post can answer all your questions... For now, while kiler129 still tries to make a new loader to support 6.2.4+ there is hope.

He answered also questions about DSM 7... in the post he also said that Synology did not do this on purpose in order to stop XPE...they changed the kernel enough to break the loader. This is all they did and it was not in purpose...

Anyway, read the post I believe you will find it very interesting and educational.

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

least for this long, seems like its been months since we could update. 

there are xpenology users not having updated for years ...

most of the stuff you are worried about should have been answered by yourself before installing xpenology for more then testing

"bricking" (its not like that because its still possible to downgrade or do other things) can be prevented by disabling internet access to the ip address of you xpenology box and only installing proven updates manually (or disable access to all domains involved in updating)

if security is most important don't use xpenology, you rely on a lot of code from the loader and drivers (or 3rd party packages) that you cant check, you trust a lot of people you dont know anything about and even if you trust them there is no guarantee about 3rd party hacking the one you are trusting or a man in the middle attack

you can use open media vault as alternative to xpenology, its even possible to use it temporary by booting omv from a added media (can be usb or hdd), you might need to fix the volume label to mount the dsm data volume with omv but thats not a problem for later using dsm again

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42793-hp-gen8-dsm-623-25426-update-3-failed/?do=findComment&comment=200475

if you prepare that media you can switch at any time  and still access you data by local network

beside this its also good to have backup(s), should be normal as beside security/hacking there are also risks with hardware involved (specifically when dsm's ssd cache is involved i'd recommend having recent backup all the time)

• Like 1

Thanks all and IG88

So i think i made my post so it was not understood properly.

What i was getting at is: There must have been instances in the past, where because of whatever reason, people could not update Xpenology to latest DSM because when they do it bricks their system or whatever. Like right now, if i were to try to update to 6.2.4, from the Updates posts, all i see is UNSUCCESSFUL, so i cannot update.

It seems to have been like this for some time. 

After reading below thread i understand a little bit more about why 6.2.4 doesn't work. And having people Speculate on why or if Synology is blocking Xpenology users is pointless. 

My questions are less about security and more about the chances of ever being able to update Xpenology again. More concerned about functionality. And eventually updating to VER 7.0.

So:

• Based on history,  and OG Xpenology users, have there been points in the past where we went without being able to update DSM for long periods? How long did it take for a fix? This may be a moot point now, but was my true question.
  • What ARE the chances that someone will fix something so that we can update Xpenology DSM again? Good? Bad? Maybe another moot point but....
  • @IG-88 Your multiple references to Security have now peaked my curiosity. Is there some other reason we should be concerned about security other then not being able to update DSM? Are you @IG-88 moving your personal NAS away from Xpenology? if so why?
  • @IG-88 when you say:

can be prevented by disabling internet access to the ip address of you xpenology box 

are you saying like go into router and prevent Xpen box from internet somehow? How would one do this? In DSM or router? Sorry for NOOB question

On 7/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, IG-88 said:

there are xpenology users not having updated for years ...

most of the stuff you are worried about should have been answered by yourself before installing xpenology for more then testing

"bricking" (its not like that because its still possible to downgrade or do other things) can be prevented by disabling internet access to the ip address of you xpenology box and only installing proven updates manually (or disable access to all domains involved in updating)

if security is most important don't use xpenology, you rely on a lot of code from the loader and drivers (or 3rd party packages) that you cant check, you trust a lot of people you dont know anything about and even if you trust them there is no guarantee about 3rd party hacking the one you are trusting or a man in the middle attack

you can use open media vault as alternative to xpenology, its even possible to use it temporary by booting omv from a added media (can be usb or hdd), you might need to fix the volume label to mount the dsm data volume with omv but thats not a problem for later using dsm again

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42793-hp-gen8-dsm-623-25426-update-3-failed/?do=findComment&comment=200475

if you prepare that media you can switch at any time  and still access you data by local network

beside this its also good to have backup(s), should be normal as beside security/hacking there are also risks with hardware involved (specifically when dsm's ssd cache is involved i'd recommend having recent backup all the time)

How do i do this? Just by not allowing external access to the box?

Should i be blocking any of Synology's IP addresses? I thought i read somewhere of someone blocking their IP address.

prevented by disabling internet access to the ip address of you xpenology box