XPEnology Community

Virtual Box 3615xs Not seen

syno406

Im running Virtualbox on a Dell Precision 5820 with a Intel W-2235 Xeon Processor. Using 1.03b loader to install on a 3615xs box. I get to the happy hacking screen but Synology Assistant cant find it. The built in nic is an Intel I219-LM.

I also have a secondary NIC card also.

How can i get the box to be visible?

image.thumb.png.25d40b4663ec4a9389fbfb5f7fb20586.png

Edited by syno406
mistake

The I219-LM is a fairly "new" chipset that other people had issues with it (even my self). On the other hand you said you also have a secondary NIC with Realtek's RTL8111G chipset. Look at this post it might help you out

Thanks. We’re you referring me to try 1.03 and a 3617 box or the extra.lmza?

To be honest neither do I. If you search the forum I believe you will find a guide how to do it. I am sure IG-88 or somebody else has a guide about it.

I have a 4 X Intel I350-T4 chip. Never had a problem with it but my XPEnology is installed on a VM not Baremetal as yours. Oh my bad I just read again you are trying to install it on a VirtualBox.

Edited by gadreel

To be honest neither do I. If you search the forum I believe you will find a guide how to do it. I am sure IG-88 or somebody else has a guide about it.
I have a 4 X Intel I350-T4 chip. Never had a problem with it but my XPEnology is installed on a VM not Baremetal as yours.

I’m trying to do a vm also. In Virtualbox

1 minute ago, syno406 said:

No. Pretty sure those are esxi terms

Again, not an expert. I am using Unraid as my hypervisor. When you select your Virtual Network you can select the model type. Sorry for the below XML, there is a GUI version but e1000 is not an option all you have to do is just write model type='e1000' you cannot do something similar with VirtualBox?

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:47:15:dd'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Again, not an expert. I am using Unraid as my hypervisor. When you select your Virtual Network you can select the model type. Sorry for the below XML, there is a GUI version but e1000 is not an option all you have to do is just write model type='e1000' you cannot do something similar with VirtualBox?
 type='bridge'>      address='52:54:00:47:15:dd'/>      bridge='br0'/>      type='e1000'/>      type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>   

Not that I know or know how

3 hours ago, syno406 said:

is the extra file for the realtek nic or my intel? Followed the steps (only had extra.lzma in the folder) copied over to 30mb partition. im still not seeing it on the assistant. any thoughts?

For Realtek, I do not know about the Intel one. @IG-88 can answer to that.

Still, why you are trying to pass-though your network card and you do not use a Virtual Network (Intel PRO/1000 MT 82540EM) to check if the issue is with your network card or not?

Look at this image below and select this Adapter Type.

image.thumb.png.e5f6b38e89c0234e022b4e0b3d1cd31f.png

Edited by gadreel

25 minutes ago, syno406 said:

NAT didnt do it for me on either machine. But i get the Happy Hacking screen on both.

I do not want to get too technical all I can say that the Happy Hacking Screen will display even if you have an issue even if you do not. It's a common message... If you want to see what actually is going behind the scenes you need a serial cable. I do not know how this is done virtually...

So, NAT and Bridge mode did not work with the Intel 1000MT correct? Why you do not try also the 918+ loader (1.04b)?

Edited by gadreel

9 minutes ago, gadreel said:

I do not want to get too technical all I can say that the Happy Hacking Screen will display even if you have an issue even if you do not. It's a common message... If you want to see what actually is going behind the scenes you need a serial cable. I do not know how this is done virtually...

So, NAT and Bridge mode did not work with the Intel 1000MT correct? Why you do not try also the 918+ loader (1.04b)?

That is my next step.

The reason i wanted 3615 is because i already have a barebone xpenolgy that is working fine on 3615. I wanted to take those drives over to my new machine and use RAW DISK in oracle to point to those drives. I dont know if that will work with 918 but regardless i have backups. So for right now im trying to just get it to boot (with a new blank RAW disk). Once i see that its stable, plan is to move the drives over to the new machine. 

This issue has to be my NIC or Processor. I ran some test on a XPS13 laptop i5 with virtual box and i was able to get only 3617 to load up properly.

This is what I was writing now "you tempt me to install virtualbox on my PC and give it a go..." :)

Yes it seems that maybe there is an issue with something else. The Virtual Network e1000 is a very old chip from 2002. DSM definitely supports it out of the box.

Maybe during boot the Linux Kernel is panicking somewhere else.

Regarding the migration, I read other threads that is doable with DSM's migration assistant but definitely look around to confirm it.

2 minutes ago, syno406 said:

is there a specific NIC card i can buy that would be supported out of the box? Much simpler for me to buy it then to play with it. Im just out of options at this point :(

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/10Gtek®-Gigabit-PCIE-Network-I350-T4/dp/B01H6NE4X2/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=4+x+intel+gigabit&qid=1625164928&sr=8-10

I have this I350-T4 and I passed it though unraid without any issue. I saw another cheaper one on a different post. I will look into it.

image.thumb.png.e47d8b3628f0cc7eb5680f05cea607be.png

1 minute ago, syno406 said:

just looking for the cheapest option thatll get me gb speeds. deff dont need 10g

I found the post I was looking. He bought also a single port "old I350" that is how he described it. Old is good because there is a very good chance that is supported.

I am still not convinced that your issue has anything to do with the NIC. I still believe that on a VM selecting the E1000 it should have worked 100%.

Never had an issue on my Unraid when I was creating VMs with the DS918+ 1.04b loader and the e1000 virtual network. Never!!!

If based on your signature you have that OptiPlex 790 (which has a 2nd Generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7) is understandable why you use the DS3615xs. It wont work on DS918+.

Also, looking at your screenshots and based on Flyride's very nice platform guide you see that DS3615 and DS3617 do not support UEFI. But on your screenshots I see that EFI is enabled... if that EFI means enable support for UEFI boot. That will work only on DS918+ (1.04b). I am just throwing ideas on the table... :)

Edited by gadreel