XPEnology Community

OpenVPN Daemon on XPenology or DD-WRT Router?

htc2010

For a standard run of OpenVPN where I only need to access small word/excel files, is there any performance difference running OpenVPN directly through my router, which has 128MB RAM and a 650MHz CPU (running DD-WRT) compared to my quad core Xpenology box with 8GB of RAM? I was told that throughput is determined by the CPU/RAM combo, but wonder what is the actual performance impact? Your thoughts? :?:

I've run OpenVPN on DD-WRT, Tomato, and Merlin on the Asus RT-N16 and the Asus RT-AC66u and I've run OpenVPN on the N54L.

You performance will ultimately be capped by your internet speed, so if you have a slow 1mbps upload, it won't matter what you use, you will have a 1mbps connection to your server. That being said, if your speeds are high, there WILL be a difference between the low clocked MIPS CPU's on the routers and the high clocked x86-64 CPU's on the XPEnology boxes. (People with the R7000, the Asus RT-AC56U, and all Asus devices above the RT-AC68u use a dual core ARM Cortex-A9 SoC clocked at a decently higher rate. This will likely perform somewhere in the middle.)

From what I've read, the N16 at least will cap out at around 18mbps. The AC66 will do around 20MB/s. The ARM based CPU's, around 60MB/s. A decent x86 CPU can do much much more.