XPEnology Community

Moving to a new server

rickym

I have xpenology installed on a home brew server with 4 drives and it's working great for a long time. I also have and  HP ProLiant G7 N54L server that I want to migrate to. I have installed Xpenology on the HP sever before so I know it works great. Can I just move my 4 drives that are in the home brew server to the HP and also move the flash drive for booting to the new server without any problems?

Sorry but one more question in case everything fails. I use hyper backup and have completely backed up my server (very important stuff) just in case of a problem. I just want to be sure I understand what to do if for some reason everything goes wrong. On the new server completely start from scratch and install xpenology again and then use hyper backup to restore the new server to how the old server was. Just nervous about losing my data. Hope that makes sense. Even confuses me. :)

Yes my current nas is backed up. I planned on doing a new install. My biggest challenge right now is how to attach the raw disk and use them. From what I gather if all goes well with that hookup then dsm should be detected along with my data intact.

Being that I do have everything backed up, is there any real benefit in doing the raw disk (I am highly unfamiliar with this) vs creating 2 vdi drives 1 on each HDD and attaching them that way?

What would be the best option for me to go with for long term?

Option 1

Plug in both drives, overwrite all data on each drive by creating a new vdi 3TB each (one for each drive). Install DSM, configure pool. Pool should see 2 disks. manually copy over data to xpenology.

• Pro - should be simple but time consuming and drives are virtual.
  • Con - im overwriting and i might not need two 

Option 2

Some how set oracle to point to the physical drives as the data store

• pro no reinstall of dsm and all should come back up unharmed
  • con- drives are not virtual and backing up the vm and its storage pool might be a pain

I am getting this error. The drive is a 16gb flashdrive. 

The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-1" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

just in case you wonder why no one answers, what you are doing here is called thread hijacking and you are stuffing any random/unrelated problem you have too

Thank you and im Sorry. That was in no way my intention. I simply posted here bec it was a similar situation just on a VM level. As for me posting, ok yes maybe i over posted but it was done bec in the event someone else down the line has the same situation theyll be able to follow along with some of the errors ive seen along my journey.

Did not mean to offend or hijack anything here. 

On 6/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, syno406 said:

Thank you and im Sorry. That was in no way my intention. I simply posted here bec it was a similar situation just on a VM level. As for me posting, ok yes maybe i over posted but it was done bec in the event someone else down the line has the same situation theyll be able to follow along with some of the errors ive seen along my journey.

Did not mean to offend or hijack anything here. 

Hi @syno406 :)

Just start your own thread and I guess you will get replies to your questions.

This thread is for answering @rickym questions