XPEnology Community

Loader problem on B460M mortar + 10400

xyzeratul

I plan to convert my desktop PC to a XPEnology NAS, but got stuck on the 1st step, the loader stuck on happy hacking screen, and no IP can be found. 

PC spec:

MSI B460M mortar ( RTL8125B)

Intel 10400+

Samsung DDR4 16GB

Optane 16G + Toshiba XG3 500GB

Loader DS918 - v1.04b + Driver extension, 

9 hours ago, Kamele0N said:

Check your BIOS settings.... Ds918+ needs UEFI boot! 

DS918+ works with MBR, CSM, Legacy or UEFI.

OP, the NIC is probably too new.  If you install an Intel CT PCIe card (US$30), it should work.  Or you can wait and see if @IG-88 compiles a RealTek driver that supports the 2.5Gbps 8125B chip.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

DS918+ works with MBR, CSM, Legacy or UEFI.

OP, the NIC is probably too new.  If you install an Intel CT PCIe card (US$30), it should work.  Or you can wait and see if @IG-88 compiles a RealTek driver that supports the 2.5Gbps 8125B chip.

Maybe,  but this NIC is out like for a year?

so any suggestion about PCIe cards that works with currect loader? 

21 minutes ago, xyzeratul said:

Maybe,  but this NIC is out like for a year?

I think for DSM it does not work like that... The DSM comes with specific NIC drivers compatibility. It does not get updated by Synology to support new Realtek/Intel NIC drivers.

As Flyride said you can either buy a cheap/old Intel PCI express network card (any old chipset in my opinion it should be fine) or wait for IG-88 to compile new NIC drivers.

Edited by gadreel

9 hours ago, flyride said:

Um, yes?

OK, I just order an old I350 card online to see if I can run the loader.

From what I read on the forum, RTL8125B is supported but not tested on every MB, I am hoping once I installed the os, it can still work.

1 hour ago, xyzeratul said:

From what I read on the forum, RTL8125B is supported but not tested on every MB

I am not sure if this is true. I had the following experience with NICs.

I used to have this board https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H370M-ITXac/index.asp

This board has 2 Intel NICs. One with I219V chipset and a second with I211AT chipset.

The I219V does not work because the firmware/revision its newish... old revisions/firmware of this chipset do work with XPEnology after digging through the forum.

On the other hand the I211AT which is 3 years older than the I219V worked out of the box.

As for the I350 chipset, this is the one I use for my XPEnology (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/10Gtek®-Gigabit-PCIE-Network-I350-T4/dp/B01H6NE4X2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XG6SI9LBQW3B&dchild=1&keywords=i350-t4&qid=1624463098&sprefix=I350%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-3). I am passing it though Unraid and never experienced any issue with it. If it does not work then maybe the NIC is not your problem.

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, xyzeratul said:

I plan to convert my desktop PC to a XPEnology NAS, but got stuck on the 1st step, the loader stuck on happy hacking screen, and no IP can be found. 

PC spec:

MSI B460M mortar ( RTL8125B)

Intel 10400+

Samsung DDR4 16GB

Optane 16G + Toshiba XG3 500GB

Loader DS918 - v1.04b + Driver extension, 

Have the same configuration, did you install it successfully?

• 2 weeks later...

Is your lan a Killer Lan device like my MSI B85M is not found on network after initial happy hacking boot. On 1.04B trying to get 6.2.2.2379.

Anyhow the machine is not detected just like you.

Willing to bet its the Killer lan.

Thanks

PS: Is there a list of supported NIC cards??

Thanks

So I just wanted to confirm that 1.04b does indeed work with Killer 2205 lan devices. However I had difficulty using the Synology assistant or the web find app to locate the device. Had to go into my router and search all my 'connected devices' to find the ip address and use that instead.