XPEnology Community

I updated my HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 to v5.2-5644 and got it working.

After I manually uploaded the correct PAT file (DS3615xs) the system rebooted and I told in the XPENboot menu that I want to upgrade (option 3).

The syno upgrade assistant noticed I moved my disks ( :shock: ???) and that it has to upgrade the DSM system. ( :???: OK??)

I followed the default options and after a new reboot of the system I let it go (boot option 1).

Everything fine. No data or config settings lost as far as I can see.

Pfew. :wink:

After I manually uploaded the correct PAT file (DS3615xs) the system rebooted and I told in the XPENboot menu that I want to upgrade (option 3).

The syno upgrade assistant noticed I moved my disks ( :shock: ???) and that it has to upgrade the DSM system. ( :???: OK??)

I followed the default options and after a new reboot of the system I let it go (boot option 1).

Hmm, HP Gen8 Microserver here as well but I decided to wait with this update. The previous worked great just using auto-update, but I'm seeing to many different stories here..

I updated my Gen8 and it got stuck in a boot loop. So I moved my drives back to my gen7 and it is working fine. I'll wait for an xpenoboot update before moving back to the gen8. I don't use iscsi so not sure if that is broken. Everything else seems fine including all my docker containers.

I updated my Gen8 and it got stuck in a boot loop. So I moved my drives back to my gen7 and it is working fine. I'll wait for an xpenoboot update before moving back to the gen8. I don't use iscsi so not sure if that is broken. Everything else seems fine including all my docker containers.

Is your Gen 7 too updated to 5644 ?

Currently have a baremetal Gen7, 5.2-5592, but I can't install 5592 update 4 anymore since 5644 is available.

So I'm wondering about direct update my Gen7 to 5644 from Setting Panel.

Currently have a baremetal Gen7, 5.2-5592, but I can't install 5592 update 4 anymore since 5644 is available.

Yes my gen7 is updated to 5644. According to others' posts it should work just fine. It seems that only the gen8 is having a problem.

Something in the gen8 hardware or bios is causing it to reboot right after xpenoboot finishes loading. It may be a matter of turning off settings or disabling things in the gen8 bios to get 5644 to boot but the family needs their plex server.

Yes my gen7 is updated to 5644. According to others' posts it should work just fine. It seems that only the gen8 is having a problem.

Something in the gen8 hardware or bios is causing it to reboot right after xpenoboot finishes loading. It may be a matter of turning off settings or disabling things in the gen8 bios to get 5644 to boot but the family needs their plex server.

I just tested a new boot loader build this morning. It looks like iSCSI allows connections, but doesn't provide any mount points or volumes. Trying to figure out if this it's a syno bug or something we introduced.

Other than that things are running smoothly. Hopefully we will sort the iscsi issue out quickly.

@Jman420 - do you have any way to test the esx nfs plugin status by chance? I really miss that feature, but didn't want to keep holding back.

Provide me with some instructions and if I have everything I need (hardware, time, clear steps & expected results, etc) I'll give it a shot. For the record I have no idea what the esx nfs plugin is.

I should probably add that this policy applies to any features that the community wants added to the tests that I run. I would point out that all of my testing is done manually; so if you ask me to test something that takes more than 5 minutes to test it might not make the cut. Also keep in mind that just because something may be part of the tests that I run doesn't guarantee that it will work when we go to release. For the sake of getting releases out only core DSM functionality needs to be functional.

On a test vm (Xpenology 5.2-5592) I created one iscsi lun and target; after that I updated to 5644 in control panel

iscsi.jpg

I did not lose the LUN, it is still usable after update; but I can't create another one after update, the target is there but with no LUN mounted.

Edit:

I tried to create iscsi lun on my main xpeno install, also updated to 5644; same result as on the test one, and it ejected my usb drive. Not sure if related, usb drive over esxi is not so stable, but maybe it is.

I am able to test new xpeno-boot if help is needed, install from scratch or update; only in virtual machine (esxi 6.0 on hp gen8) and also only basic functionality.

Edit2:

I did not lose the iscsi in xpeno, but I can't mount it in windows, so it is useless. The update brakes iscsi.

@Jman420 - do you have any way to test the esx nfs plugin status by chance? I really miss that feature, but didn't want to keep holding back.

Provide me with some instructions and if I have everything I need (hardware, time, clear steps & expected results, etc) I'll give it a shot. For the record I have no idea what the esx nfs plugin is.

I should probably add that this policy applies to any features that the community wants added to the tests that I run. I would point out that all of my testing is done manually; so if you ask me to test something that takes more than 5 minutes to test it might not make the cut. Also keep in mind that just because something may be part of the tests that I run doesn't guarantee that it will work when we go to release. For the sake of getting releases out only core DSM functionality needs to be functional.

The esx nfs plugin allows VAAI instructions to be used between ESX and Synology/XPEnology NAS devices. It allows eager-zeroed VMDK files, offloads cloning, etc. from an ESX host to the NAS device. The ESX box sees the changes immediately, even though they are still occurring on the NAS. It makes snapshotting, cloning, etc. very quick.

You can download the plugin from Syno, and install it in ESXi 5.5 or 6 for testing. It would show as hardware acceleration in the ESXi client storage page. The xpenology DSM 5.1 worked fine with it, DSM5.2 has been broken the whole time. I can PM you some instructions if that would be helpful, but the syno docs show everything you would need I think. It is pretty easy to install and nothing really to configure.

Okay.. thought I was losing my mind last night..

Pulled an ISO for 5592 yesterday, burned.

Took a Dell OP 760 first.. booted/installed et al.. could not create a volume.

Fought with it every which way.. no go.

Connection failed. Please check your network settings.

My network settings.. for creating a volume?..

Pulled down an OP 780 and blew the dust off.. also put some RAM in.. go figure..

Same deal.

Woke up early.. went to a client's site where I had formerly set one up on a Precision T3500, okay?

Pulled the HDD and smote the partitions, took the CD which it still had in it.. SAME problem on the OP 760. (didn't bring the other.. it was after 5am..).

Fine.. went with the "effit" maneuver and put the drive back in, CD back in.. installed et al.. and IT won't create a volume.. it could before.

Conclusions:

A fresh build from a 5592 ISO ends up with a 5644 build.. I did notice that last night between the pre-rebuild and the new guy last night.. as well as the former-5592-now-5644. I'm sure a manual/PAT might help me there.. "I" didn't ask for 5644, the thing did that by itself.. even from an ISO and CD from weeks ago on the same hardware.

Cannot create a volume.. whatever this issue is, it is broken from the get-go.

I go with the CD because too often I cannot get a good boot order AND attach an external USB HDD for backup or whatever.. and reboot. Inevitably the hardware derps and tries to boot the wrong USB.. but that's just me.

I can't be the only one trying this from fresh and hitting the volume wall. Sure, I can hack at it and all.. but the "it just works" approach isn't.

While I'm sure I may or may not have had fun on an upgrade.. I was just trying to build another box to begin with.. go figure.

Ok, I have a Gen8 too. Where you on .5592 update 4 too?

To recap: what steps did you follow? You manually uploaded the PAT, rebooted, choose upgrade in boot, then had to fix the "moved disks" ? Then upgraded, rebooted and had no issues?

How long did all this take?