XPEnology Community

Connection loss / instability?

asheenlevrai

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:16 PM, flyride said:

Another change that must be made via DSM command line.

Edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, search for "maxlanport" then change from "2" to "4", then reboot

I get this when I try to SSH into my xpen:

Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/ADMINUSERNAME: No such file or directory

Then if I try to use vi to edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf it says the file is read-only

Edited by asheenlevrai

1 minute ago, asheenlevrai said:

Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/ADMINUSERNAME: No such file or directory

This is normal if you log in with admin account and you have home directories turned on, and can be ignored.

1 minute ago, asheenlevrai said:

Then if I try to use vi to edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf it says the file is read-only

You need to elevate your privileges to edit files.  Look up "Linux root" and review all of its risks.  The command to elevate admin to root is sudo -i

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, flyride said:

This is normal if you log in with admin account and you have home directories turned on, and can be ignored.

You need to elevate your privileges to edit files.  Look up "Linux root" and review all of its risks.  The command to elevate admin to root is sudo -i

Of course! how could I not immediately have thought about sudo... This shows my lack of regular use of linux since a very (very) long time. 🤭

Thanks a lot

-a-

OK. I can confirm that the origin of my problem was probably a driver incompatibility or something under DS3617xs (loader 1.03b).

After upgrading the hardware to support DS918+ (loader 1.04b) the system is stable with these 4-ports NICs.

Thanks

-a-

PS: How can I mark this topic as solved now?

Edited by asheenlevrai

Sorry I don't know.  I expect that there are Linux memory structure limits that correspond to maxlanport.

200 is non-sensical because there are no CPU's that can support that number of PCIe channels.

Ignoring the fact that significant scale-out aggregation does not result in useful performance unless you have comparatively scaled-out utilization (many users), you can aggregate as many devices as DSM can see.  The most I have ever used, or observed anyone else use, is 4.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

😭😭😭

@flyride I thought my issue was solved but it isn't.

The machine seemed now stable but I realized it doesn't survive a reboot.

Here is what happens:

- 1st reboot : machine is no longer detected (Synology Assistant) and I cannot connect to it.

-> hard reset : Synology Assistant report connection issue/failure (I don't remember) and offers to setup network parameters (DHCP or manual) but none of them solves the problem. the machine is not reachable

-> 2nd hard reset (without changing any network parameter) : The machine seems to boot fine and is now reachable again. However, some random network issues are present (see below).

This "loop" starts again at the next reboot

I realized that since, for some strange reason, the machine could connect normally to another Synology to perform backups but could no longer connect to a 2nd xpen rig (also to perform backups) while it had no problems previously with it. I decided to reboot the machine in order to see if it would solve the issue and then experienced the aforementioned "loop".

After the 2nd hard reset in the "loop", the machine could again connect to the other xpen rig in order to perform backups. However, this connection may still fail in the future while connections to Synology boxes remain functional.

🤪

Any idea or advice?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK,

Here is a little feedback after some testing.

My initial trial involved using a quad-port GbE NIC (Realtek 8111G) with LACP aggregation (the hardware on my LAN supports LACP and other devices on this LAN have LACP enabled and working properly) while the onboard GbE was disabled.

It wasn't stable. I get random network loss (the xpen rig has no longer access to the network but is not frozen nor crashed or anything). Network connection is restored after a hard reboot.

I experienced the same symptoms with 3617xs (1.03b) and 918+ (1.04b).

I experienced the same symptoms with 4 different quad-port NICs (either Realtek 8111G or Intel i350-T4).

I tried to use only 1 Ethernet cable on the quad-port NIC, but the problem remains.

Then I thought "Maybe I should enable the onboard GbE so I have a backup connection to access the NAS when the quad-port NIC fails".

I set maxlanport to 5 in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf.

- When I use the onboard GbE alone -> no issues

- When I use the quad-port NIC I get the same issues (loss of network connection at random). The "other" connection from the onboard GbE isn't helpful. When network connection fails it fails for the whole system.

Then I disabled LACP on the ports connected to the quad-port NIC.

- When I use all 5 ports I get the same issues (Maybe DSM doesn't like maxlanport=5 or something)

- When I use only 4 ports (either onboard + 3 from the quad-port NIC or all 4 from the quad-port NIC without using the onboard one) the connection is stable.

Now what does that mean?

That Xpen has an issue dealing with LACP aggregation? It seems like others are using LACP successfully.

Or maybe I miss something else (wouldn't be surprising).

Please let me know if you think of anything that could help me move forward with this project.

Thanks,

-a-

Edited by asheenlevrai

Thanks a lot @flyride :) 

I understand that.

I'm currently stuck since I don't know how to troubleshoot this any further.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I could track users on the forum that mentioned successfully using LACP and contact them directly in order to ask how they set it up. My best guess would be that they'd reply it worked OTB for them.

Do you know if there is actually a hard limit of 4 for maxlanport? I mean is it known that when maxlanport is >4 then NICs are still recognized but the system becomes unstable. Or is  it something I "discovered" or specific to my case? Have you ever heard of anyone successfully using maxlanport >4? Maybe I should post a survey on the forum about that?

Thanks a lot :)

Best,

-a-