XPEnology Community

Installing DSM 6.2 on HP Elitebook 840 G3

DanShawn

Hi there,

Can anyone provide me a step by step guide to install the DSM 6.2 on HP Elitebook 840 G3? I tried with Jun’s Loader v1.04b DS918+ when its comes to 50% installation and its shows that file has corrupted and failed the installation. I think I was missing some steps when I prepare the boot loader. 

Please assist me. 

Thanks 

Best regards,

Shawn 

Hi Guru, Thanks for your reply. Able to install the DSM 6.2 adding the vid/pid and Mac address. But now DSM is not booting up. I guess I have to disable some wifi or some other boot menus in BIOS? If you know any setting please let me know. Thanks  

9 hours ago, DanShawn said:

Hi there,

Can anyone provide me a step by step guide to install the DSM 6.2 on HP Elitebook 840 G3? I tried with Jun’s Loader v1.04b DS918+

Please assist me. 

Thanks 

Best regards,

Shawn 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xpenology/comments/khe6wx/installing_xpenology_on_bare_metal_the_tldr/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

3 hours ago, DanShawn said:

Hi Guru, Thanks for your reply. Able to install the DSM 6.2 adding the vid/pid and Mac address. But now DSM is not booting up. I guess I have to disable some wifi or some other boot menus in BIOS? If you know any setting please let me know. Thanks  

Ds918+ is both UEFI & Bios/CSM bootable...so you cannot fail @boot...

Been there....done that (yesterday as a matter of fact).....change your (no-name) USB stick with any branded one (and doing that dont forget to change VID&PID in grub.cfg as well) 

Edited by Kamele0N

On my Asus.... I have one submenu in my bios

Boot priority..... Bios/OS.. 

Go trough every tab in your bios....and google every term..... 

Doing so....you will understand bios functions/settings

Yes its time consuming....but it pays off....and you will also learn something new doing so :) (been there yesterday.....now I have 2nd working ds3615xs) 

2 hours ago, DanShawn said:

DSM 6.2 installation completed 100% but when the laptop booting the HP bios booting is overriding the DSM OS. DSM is not loading. Anything that I have to disable bios level? 

try with F9 and select the usb flash drive manually, if csm is active you migt see two (uefi and legacy)

Dear All, Thanks for all your information. All working well now. I didn't realize that I have to boot from the USB drive when the laptop restarts. I removed the USB and thinking it will boot from the HDD disk. Now I plugged the usb always. All working fine now and my NAS is fully functional. Is there anyway boot loader move to HDD and load without the USB drive? 

No....you will always need that USB stick... 

I am not sure if you need it in an usb port after your laptop/system boots....I think that it is needed only to boot your system up

Its easier to hide that usb stick on a destktop system....you just need usb extender cable...and you can "rewire" it inside the box :)

Maybe if your laptop has an empty DVD slot....then you can hide that usb stick there ;)

Edited by Kamele0N

4 hours ago, Kamele0N said:

.you just need usb extender cable...and you can "rewire" it inside the bo

there are small usb thumb drives like san cruzer fit, they only stick out a few millimeter, less then the power connector of a notebook

5 hours ago, DanShawn said:

move to HDD and load without the USB drive? 

i know it feels lame and uncool but starting with the FAQ makes sense sometimes ;-)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?do=findComment&comment=81096

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much all you guys. Very helpful information. I kept the USB stick as plugged always. The usb is getting very warm :) . I hope it will last for sometime. Yeah as I know original NAS hardware having a boot loader inside the flash drive. So no choice this is kind of replicate setup. :) . My new XPEnology setup is working great as my media server and file sharing purpose.