XPEnology Community

Hyper V setup DSM 6.0.2-8451

syno406

Question

using loader XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 on hyper-v. I got dsm installed at 6.0.2-8451.

what is the latest i can go to?

Im guessing i would do a manual install for the update so can i just go get the .pat file and manually do the upgrade?

20 answers to this question

i guess my real question is being that hyper v needs an iso to boot, how would i go about that. Juans loader isnt in iso format. 

perhaps i can use a usb connected to the host I just dont know what that means for me regarding the vid/piv. 

id obviously prefer to use an iso and not have anything plugged into host machine. 

14 minutes ago, syno406 said:

i guess my real question is being that hyper v needs an iso to boot, how would i go about that. Juans loader isnt in iso format. 

even if you get it working with a iso, there is no hyper-v support in synology's kernel so you can't use the native support (even if you compile the drivers for this)

whats left is the legacy hardware and thats a 100MBit nic in hyper-v - not much fun using a NAS with just 10 MByte/s

use vmware or qemu/kvm based hypervisor, imho trying hyper-v is a waste of time as long as you cant have a custom kernel like we had with 5.x

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

even if you get it working with a iso, there is no hyper-v support in synology's kernel so you can't use the native support (even if you compile the drivers for this)

whats left is the legacy hardware and thats a 100MBit nic in hyper-v - not much fun using a NAS with just 10 MByte/s

use vmware or qemu/kvm based hypervisor, imho trying hyper-v is a waste of time as long as you cant have a custom kernel like we had with 5.x

Your all paying for esxi? would it work if i create a vm on hyper v to install esxi and then create the synology inside the esxi?

I was going to use this machine as my primary workstation hence i wanted to keep it on windows and not to install esxi on the host machine. 

Guess im just missing a couple pieces here to get this working in esxi. 

43 minutes ago, syno406 said:

Your all paying for esxi? would it work if i create a vm on hyper v to install esxi and then create the synology inside the esxi?

vm in vm is called "nested" virtualisation and might depend on your cpu and os version on win10 with amd cpu (ryzen) it should work since 21H1

43 minutes ago, syno406 said:

I was going to use this machine as my primary workstation hence i wanted to keep it on windows and not to install esxi on the host machine. 

you can use oracle virtualbox as a base for dsm on a win10 workstation, no hyper-v involved and no nested visualization needed

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

vm in vm is called "nested" virtualisation and might depend on your cpu and os version on win10 with amd cpu (ryzen) it should work since 21H1

you can use oracle virtualbox as a base for dsm on a win10 workstation, no hyper-v involved and no nested visualization needed

and im guessing the install for oracle is much simpler?

1 hour ago, syno406 said:

Looks like it installs with DSM 6.1

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6927-tutorial-install-6x-on-oracle-virtualbox-juns-loader/

depends on how far you read, 6.2.3 u3 is max. atm and you just swap the *.img file of the loader compared to dsm 6.1

most important part is to match the mac of the vm's nicht with the one in the loader (and using sata controller)

On 6/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, syno406 said:

Adapter is ok

only if you put the mac address of the vm's nic into the grug.cfg of the *.img file you use for booting the vm

on my system i dont use "NAT" i use network bridge and in the files "Name" would be the nic of the windows host, that makes sure there is a dhcp server (usually the internet router and the SA is in the same network (host's LAN)

On 6/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, syno406 said:

and so should both controllers be ok

no not ide, for 6.2 i use sata on my virtualbox vm's, afair that one had to be changed in comparison to using it with dsm 6.1

did you look over the whole virtual box thread? there are adjustments for 6.2 documented

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6927-tutorial-install-6x-on-oracle-virtualbox-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=197187

also when using it for a real dsm (not just testing) you might disable the host i/o cache, in case of  power outage or a hard windows crash you can loos that cache and damage the btrfs file system of the dsm vm (a windows desktop system usually does not have a ups and is not as stable as a server or a real hyper-visor

image.png

i think the issue is i need to use the 1.03b loader and 3615xs. The problem is the loader doesnt contain a vmdk file. only .img. Oracle wont accept .img as an acceptable file type. i tried to convert and i go it to load but cant find in with finder using bridge or nat and got the right mac from grub file.

followed all the guides to a T and i still cant seem to find it anywhere. One thing that did stick out to me was im seeing this screen but nothing about booting the kernel. This was with 1.03b and 3615xs

image.thumb.png.b4000cd23a9ce9044482caa65b139c73.png

image.png.c5c9aacd08c2db7cea66ab2ae0208d63.png

Totally lost. nothing seems to be working for me in oracle

Heres what I tried. New Machine. New oracle. Made 2 test VM's. 3615 and 918.

3615 i was able to get to the synology webpage to install DSM. (A partial win)

918 - in the finder it says connection failed but it has an ip address but also no way to install dsm.
image.thumb.png.af3d67ac7a464d64b8ed45a916f1ee7e.png

Any thoughts?

after attempting to install what I’m assuming was the wrong version of dsm My 3615 box cannot be found in finder.

I think for now ill be uninstalling all oracle on my primary machine and trying this all over again. Also to note i have a USB dock on my primary machine but im bridging the connection to the dock correctly (mac entered into oracle also)

Edited by syno406

2 hours ago, syno406 said:

I think for now ill be uninstalling all oracle on my primary machine and trying this all over again. Also to note i have a USB dock on my primary machine but im bridging the connection to the dock correctly (mac entered into oracle also)

if you used 6.2.4 for  3615 it will not work, it needs to be 6.2(.0) or 6.2.3

to reset the vm after a failed attempt you could just switch the vm off, replace the synoboot.img with the original file (in the vm's directory), delete the virtual disk (in the virtualbox gui) and crate a new one

about the vm's config there is not much difference for 918+ and 3615 on my system

image.png.6776d74fd1c4cd36de4a31912d11b5c1.png image.png.e34bf1cabde524e0852b484600b475ec.png

Edited by IG-88