XPEnology Community

Dell Precision 5820

syno406

Does anyone know if i can get xpenology as a VM running Hyper V on a Precision 5820. Im also open to esxi but if i recall it cost $$. Plan is to have this and a couple other v-machines on it

Edited by syno406
added esxi info

ESXi has trial model you can renew indefinitely and also a free limited license that is adequate for XPe.  In terms of hypervisors and XPe, ESXi has best support, followed by ProxMox and KVM, and there have been a few historical posts about Xenserver.

Hyper-V has problems, we generally say it doesn't work due to lack of virtual network card support, although I did see some posts discussing some progress with Server 2019 recently.  I didn't dig into very deeply but it suggests that perhaps that version has a new network model that is more compatible.  I still recommend ESXi however.

2 hours ago, flyride said:

ESXi has trial model you can renew indefinitely and also a free limited license that is adequate for XPe.  In terms of hypervisors and XPe, ESXi has best support, followed by ProxMox and KVM, and there have been a few historical posts about Xenserver.

Hyper-V has problems, we generally say it doesn't work due to lack of virtual network card support, although I did see some posts discussing some progress with Server 2019 recently.  I didn't dig into very deeply but it suggests that perhaps that version has a new network model that is more compatible.  I still recommend ESXi however.

what sort of issues? I just installed hyper v on my laptop to test. I followed this video and was able to install 6.0.2-8451.