XPEnology Community

Hp Gen8 on ne peut rien faire pour diminuer le bruit ?

Razmote

Bonjour à tous,

Je viens à peine de recevoir mon HP Gen8 tout neut, à peine installé avec Xpenology, je tombe sur un point épineux... le bruit :???:

Je l'ai installé derrière une enceinte colonne, contre mon meuble Homecinéma, on ne le voit pas, mais hélas on l'entend.

En fait je ne sais pas si le bruit du ventilo vient de l'alim ou de celui du boitier, pas encore eu le temps de l'ouvrir.

Il fait beaucoup de bruit au démarrage puis après ça diminue, j'ai à mon bureau 2 gros serveurs Proliant HP et c'est pareil.

Une fois dans le bios, le bruit diminue de moitié, idem quand l'OS est lancé.

Ca reste acceptable en configuration entreprise, mais dans mon salon ça passe pas, surtout avec ma WAF :roll: .

Si je trouve pas de solution, le Gen8 va partir dans les petites annonces, c'est dommage car c'est vraiment un très beau produit.

J'aurai du me méfier des gens qui disaient qu'il faisait du bruit, enfin y a pas mort d'homme aussi :smile:

Merci pour vos réponses.

pour le changement des ventilos c'est quand même compliqué

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page8.html

DITOR"S NOTES: Microserver Gen 8 Fan Control, Acoustics & RAID

Two Step Forward... and one step back. The original Microserver was a huge hit because it combined small size, high space and energy efficiency, good enough performance, and low noise straight out of the box. The relatively simple mods we devised to reduce the noise further was icing on the cake. Our fan modding addendum, with details of the non-standard 4-pin PWM wire coding used by HP, probably helped sell a lot of Microservers, especially to technical consumers for use as media servers in homes.

The new Gen8's intractable fail-safe fan/thermal shutoff system is draconian. Any attempt to slow the fan, even applying a little friction by hand on the fan's hub, is enough to trigger a complete system shutdown. There is no hardware monitoring or fan control section in the BIOS; all this is relegated to HP's vaunted ILO system, which as Larry pointed out, costs more money.

Could the fan be replaced with a quieter one? The 6-pin, 5-wire fan is so far from standard PWM fan configuration that even finding a plug to fit the six tightly spaced pins was a challenge. After much scrounging in the lab's old parts bins, I adapted an old 4-pin cable for audio directly from a CD drive to the motherboard. The cable was cut in two and both ends used with pins reconfigured so they made contact with the relevant five pins on the motherboard fan header. The cut ends of the wire were bared and tinned so they could be poked into the 4-pin female connector of a standard PWM fan. Two of the wires from the stock fan are black, so it seemed safe to assume they were both ground, which left 4 wires to play with. I experimented with several PWM fans and umpteen combinations of terminations, to no avail. No matter what I tried, the fans would 1) not start, which led to the Gen8 shutting down before the end of the boot sequence, 2) start at full speed, or 3) start at reduced speed but then get into an annoying speed up/down cycle once in the OS and within a few minutes result in a forced shortdown. After a couple of days of this, I gave up.

The discussion thread "MicroServer Gen8 is noisy" in HP's own forums started 08-15-2013 has 134 posts and remains active today, even though it was marked as "solved" (by a HP mod?) on 12-04-2013. The problem is described thus:

If using AHCI or Legacy controller mode, fan noise will occur. There is no possibility in lowering the fan speeds in this modes to a lower value. It is going to be BIOS/iLO safe ranges.

The solution is "to configure the B120i in RAID mode. That would mean configuring at least one disk as a RAID-0 array." The end result, reportedly, is that the fan speed drops from about 37~39% to 22%.

Never mind why fan control is tied to the storage controller.

The procedure to run RAID requires switching the B120i built-in storage controller in Gen8 to RAID mode, then installing the RAID driver once you boot into the OS from another drive. For those accustomed to the user-friendly BIOS of consumer boards, this seemingly simple procedure in Gen8 is absurdly complex, perhaps to chide you for not obtaining some server tech certification? Getting the storage controller into RAID mode did indeed drop the fan speed immediately to a lower speed, a little under 1200rpm as measured with our calibrated strobe . It improved the overall noise quite significantly, to a measured 19 dBA@1m SPL. With our standard four drive array in place, the overall SPL was just over 20 dBA@1m, which is actually a bit better than the original Microserver.

I did not repeat all of the thermal testing run by Larry, but tried some load testing and noted minor increases in temperature on all the various devices during routine use, no more than +5°C. Prime95 was run for about 10-15 minutes, during which time, a bit of fan ramp up was noted; when CPU temperature stabilized, the CPU was at 56°C (10°C higher than during Larry's testing) and SPL was just under 21 dBA@1m.

The overall noise reduction in RAID mode compared to ACHI is around 10 dBA, or roughly half the subjective noise.

If you have no wish to run hardware RAID (whether because you prefer one of the Linux distributions with its own file management system, or you prefer leaving the drives as individual volumes) then running one drive as RAID 0 is a viable option, though it can increase complexity. The drop in fan speed and noise is most definitely worthwhile if you are a SPCR enthusiast... or even if you just want your server to be reasonably quiet without burying the box deep in a big closet.

Still, the absence of user-configurable fan control, the absurdly complex 5-wire fan, and lower fan speed being available only in RAID mode are all strange annoyances. As one HP forum member posted on on 01-16-2014,

... because the old Microserver did not have iLO functionality, it was able to regulate the fans (by measuring system and disk temperatures) and now that the system has built in iLO functionality this ability has been lost for non i120 controlled system usage?

I am sorry if I am asking uncomfortable questions, all I want is that HP take this issue seriously and try to resolve the noise issue in a way that satisfies cosumers who have come to expect and enjoy the silent operation from previous HP proliant microservers.

As I said in a previous post, the biggest selling argument and the reason I bought a new microserver is/was its silent operation as it is meant to operate in a silent environment.

et la

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page9.html

Bonsoir à tous,

Désolé de répondre tardivement mais je n'étais pas la ce we.

Le mien est à 34% ceci explique surement cela...

J'ai essayé de flasher mais je ne trouve pas le fichier binaire du bios...

La touche F10 au démarrage est bien sélectionnée mais il ne se passe rien.

Comme je n'ai pas de lecteur de CD je suis obligé de booter sur une clé usb et même la je n'y arrive pas... la galère :roll:

Si quelqu'un à les fichiers binaires des fichiers Bios, Ilo, etc...

Un grand merci d'avance car je deviens fou avec ça :lol:

Bonjour à tous,

Alors hier soir vers les minuit, j'ai effectivement trouvé le logiciel HP : Hp usb key utility

J'ai réussi aussi à mettre la main sur une clé USB de 32go.

J'ai pu faire la mise à jour en automatique et ça a marché !!!

Résultat ventilo à 10% au lieu de 34% et la, effectivement le bruit est très supportable !!!

J'ai allumé le HP, le système a booté sur la clé USB, il m'a demandé mise à jour manuelle ou auto, j'ai sélectionné auto et il a tout fait tout seul comme un grand :smile:

Merci à vous tous et bonne journée :smile:

Le HP USB Utility sert à créer une clé USB bootable avec dessus le SPP :smile:

Enfantin, boot sur la clé USB, puis mise à jour auto... alors que j'ai passé toute la soirée à essayer de faire la même chose mais de manière différente !!!

Du coup mon Gen8 à les dernières versions du Bios, ILO, etc...

Maintenant tout est ok :smile:

Oui bien sur voila l'image du pack update HP :

http://mirror.nforce.com/pub/firmwares/ ... 0921.6.iso

Et le logiciel HP update utility :

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1 ... 024879.exe

Donc mettre une clé USB d'au moins 5 go dans un port USB dans votre PC, lancer l utilitaire HP et suivre les instructions, puis la création du boot sur clé USB commence, ça prend un peu de temps.

Quand c'est fini, mettre la clé USB dans le Gen8, puis démarrer normalement, pensez à changer l'ordre de démarrage des périphèriques pour avoir l'USB en 1er (voir dans le Bios).

Une fois démarré, suivre les instructions à l'écran, 2 options : installation manuelle ou automatique.

J'ai pris automatique et tout s'est mis à jour tout seul.

Voila :smile:

Edited by Guest