XPEnology Community

Wanted: network drivers for Supermicro A2SDi-8C-HLN4F using Intel x553 onboard NIC

tlsnine

Question

Hi. I've been trying to setup using loader 1.4 and DS918+ v6.2.3-25426 U3 however my onboard network isn't being seen.

I installed a generic intel i210 card (igb driver) and it's being seen, but I'd really like to make use of the onboard as much as possible.

The motherboard is based off an Atom c3758.

The onboard NICs worked fine with TrueNAS.

I edited my grub.cfg and included the MAC addesses of all 4 onboard NICs without success. (just the addon card is seen)

I THINK the ixgbe driver covers x553 and when i perform a dmesg | grep Intel it does list ixgbe.  Unfortunately I don't believe that driver is being loaded.

So I guess my questions are these:

• how can I verify I have the correct drivers and they're being loaded?
  • if I don't have them, where do I find them? (either individual driver or extra package?)
  • how do I load them once I've got them?

I really have tried searching but I've come up largely empty, thus my post.

Any assistance is really appreciated!!

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Afaik the onboard networking device at A2SDi boards isn't supported at such old Linux Kernels. (Tested with old Debian releases.)

Possible workaround: Install a hypervisor (i.e. Proxmox) and use XPE as guest system in a VM.  No issues so far at 8C+ hardware. But it's only a small test VM...

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:02 PM, KB19 said:

Afaik the onboard networking device at A2SDi boards isn't supported at such old Linux Kernels. (Tested with old Debian releases.)

Possible workaround: Install a hypervisor (i.e. Proxmox) and use XPE as guest system in a VM.  No issues so far at 8C+ hardware. But it's only a small test VM...

I ended up going with a virtual install on ESXi 6.7, using passthough mode for my LSI SAS controller.

It's pretty quick and the install was more-or-less painless.

What's kinda ironic is I had to insert network drivers into my esxi image anyway, however VMware had them available and it was an easy process.

Thanks for the info!!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 3:06 AM, tlsnine said:

I THINK the ixgbe driver covers x553 and when i perform a dmesg | grep Intel it does list ixgbe.  Unfortunately I don't believe that driver is being loaded.

you would need a extended driver set (extra/extra2.lzma) AND 918+ has a default limit of

the last driver list was here, newer extra's will have at least this version, usually newer

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

"NETWORK DRIVERS LIST - Click here to see (Reveal hidden contents)"

you see X553 as supported with ixgbe.ko, i#m also sure you would find something about that board in the forum search

the 2 nic limit is explained here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

"... !!! still network limit in 1.04b loader for 918+ !!! ..."

the driver pack for 6.2.3 will be this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

just in case you still want to try baremetal install

• Like 1