XPEnology Community

Boot order locked in Terramaster F2-422

dranivil

Hi, I just got a Terramaster F2-422 but the TOS OS does not have any of the features I need, so I have decided to install Xpenology. To my surprise, the BIOS is set by default to boot from the hard drive and I need to boot from USB, and the option to change the boot order is blocked (grayed out). I have seen in this thread (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/36101-new-terramaster-f2-221-locked-bios/) that the same thing happened to someone with the F2-221 model, but in my BIOS does not show any CSM settings.

I find it strange that it doesn't let me change the boot order. Some help?

11 minutes ago, intrax said:

Post a picture and try to reset bios. If not possible to boot legacy mode the bootloader must be installed on efi partition !

There are 3 options that I can select:
- uefi
-legacy
- uefi + legacy (default)

I can only find DiskStation on the network if I boot from legacy mode. I don't know if that's what you mean.
Resetting the bios does not change anything, the option to change the boot order is blocked by default.

Edited by dranivil
add information

3 hours ago, intrax said:

So you are booting from usb ! 

Ok, I have news ...

I have managed to always boot from USB change to "only UEFY". But now the problem is in the installation and recognition of DSM.
The pendrive that I have prepared has been with the 1.04b and extra.lzma and extra2.lzma (I have tried several versions) emulating the 918+.
I don't understand why but the network card works sometimes. It doesn't matter if you connect it to the 10G port (the connector lights glow only when working) or one of the 1GB ports (the connector lights always glow). In the grub.cfg I have put the MAC addresses of the 3 connectors (they come on a label attached to each connector), the generated serial number of a 916+ and the PID and VID of the USB flash drive. Once it is recognized, it works fine until I reboot or shut down. It is as if the network connection is unstable.

14 hours ago, dranivil said:

It is as if the network connection is unstable.

Probably a driver problem. Check the nic specs of the F2-422 as it's realtek and what driver is in the extra.lzma. Weird booting uefi, would think you have to boot legacy ! Also check your dhcp for problems.

Edited by intrax

27 minutes ago, intrax said:

Probably a driver problem. Check the nic specs of the F2-422 as it's realtek and what driver is in the extra.lzma. Weird booting uefi, would think you have to boot legacy ! Also check your dhcp for problems.

Here I have opened a thread exposing everything. Apparently with 1.04b it gives stability and network problems, with 1.03b (+ extra.lzma) it works perfectly, but it forces me to boot into Legacy. If I have a power shutdown or reboot, I have to manually go into BIOS to boot from USB. No way to boot from HDD and redirect to USB?

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, nurpur10 said:

Would it be possible to replace the Bios by flashing with something that would give these options?

From the official Terramaster forums they do not give much hope of it.  It is easier to launch a UEFI compliant bootloader that is compatible with new hardware.

21 hours ago, nurpur10 said:

From the official Terramaster forums they do not give much hope of it.  It is easier to launch a UEFI compliant bootloader that is compatible with new hardware.

How would you do this?

Thanks

You can not.  Unless someone updates the bootloaders.

Hi Vortex,

Not to worry about the instructions. I did some Youtube searches and found 

a method that worked. 

Managed to load up 6.1 on 1.02b. Everything works perfectly on first attempt.

Very happy and thank you again for your help in doing this. You Da Man!

• Like 2

Just did some more tests:

1] As mentioned before 3615x 6.1 on 1.02b works fine after setting CMS to UEFI

2] No joy with 6.2 with either 1.04b or 1.03b

3] 1.03 after setting CSM to Legacy. Linux says its loaded and to Find. Synology etc. 

Finder does not detect DS

4] 1.04b on CSM UEFI. Finder will intermittently find DS. Go through process of installing . 

On reboot it fails and network lights not on. 

Seems to be close to getting 6.2 working. Any ideas where to try next?

Thanks!