XPEnology Community

DSM 7.0 Release Candidate is out

IG-88

looks like Version 7.0-41882 is RC now, so might might not be that far to a 7.0 release

https://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/DSM

beside the usual updated information about fixes and features

"...

DSM 7.0 for FS, SA, XS/XS+, and DVA series models are currently under development and will be available in the next quarter.

..."

so it might be that 7.0 release finally is in q3/2021

also EOL for 6.2 seems to be out, might be 6/2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/npwo72/whats_the_plan_for_future_support_for_dsm_6/

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

looks like Version 7.0-41882 is RC now, so might might not be that far to a 7.0 release

https://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/DSM

beside the usual updated information about fixes and features

"...

DSM 7.0 for FS, SA, XS/XS+, and DVA series models are currently under development and will be available in the next quarter.

..."

so it might be that 7.0 release finally is in q3/2021

also EOL for 6.2 seems to be out, might be 6/2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/npwo72/whats_the_plan_for_future_support_for_dsm_6/

image.thumb.png.5b2b9612344682020dcc661e1d2ea2ee.png

USB devices (Wi-Fi dongle, Bluetooth dongle, 3G/4G dongle, USB DAC/speaker, and DTV dongle) are no longer supported. If your Synology NAS is currently connected via a wireless dongle, it will be disconnected after the update.

^^^ this one is interesting. Sucks that they are removing this.

3 hours ago, test4321 said:

USB devices (Wi-Fi dongle, Bluetooth dongle, 3G/4G dongle, USB DAC/speaker, and DTV dongle) are no longer supported.

What's about USB devices connected to a docker image or a vm, e. g. a zigbee stick?

Edited by tdse13

14 hours ago, tdse13 said:

What's about USB devices connected to a docker image or a vm, e. g. a zigbee stick?

afaik you will need a driver in dsm to access a device from docker

examples might be dvb devices that need to provide /dev/dvb/... to make dvb application in docker work or plex as docker that still  needs /dev/dri/... to work

even a zigbee device will need some kind of comport for docker and guess where that com port comes from ... a driver in dsm

so there will be less support for other hardware that need special backported drivers for synology's older kernels, i guess some basic stuff that comes with the kernel like the usb com port for a zigbee might still work, but wifi and dvb are often backported and lots of new hardware did not work for a while (usb wifi support was ended about 2-3 years ago and was just continued as "as is" service, so its just some finishing up cleaning wit the new kernels for 7.0

there will still be the option to add drivers i guess (i never tried to add drivers on a real synology box, not sure how that will work when they need signed drivers)

for now 7.0 does not seem to be a thing for xpenology users as even 6.2.4 does not work (and that uses the same kernel version as 6.2.3)

you would need to check what drivers are used for your zigbee dongle and then check if that driver is either compiled into the 7.0 kernel (.config file that is used for compiling the kernel) or if there is a *.ko (driver module)  in the hda1 file in /usr/lib/modules/ (you can still open *.pat and the hda1.tgz with 7zip)

the .config file con be found here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/

inside the "dev" files

for a 920+ it would be "ds.geminilake-7.0.dev.txz" in in there

\usr\local\x86_64-pc-linux-gnu\x86_64-pc-linux-gnu\sys-root\usr\lib\modules\DSM-7.0\build\.config

the type like geminilake can be seen in the "VERSION" file of the *.pat file unter "unique="

for now there is no need to think about 7.0 as we dont have a loader and before a release of 7.0 its (still) not likely that we will see a loader

so the RC is the first sign for a release of 7.0 and we might see 7.0 release after the summer in september and after that we will wait for 1-3 month if there is any movement in the loader section

maybe there will be some other way around that by using virtual dsm on kvm, who knows, its still open (and dsm 6.2.3 and 6.1.x are still working on some user's hardware - ok there are even still 5.x units around too)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

afaik you will need a driver in dsm to access a device from docker

Docker only can use devices that are already in existence in Linux.  Docker apps are really just a chroot of the host Linux environment.

25 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

so there will be less support for other hardware that need special backported drivers for synology's older kernels

This is the real reason for this. It's hard for Synology to make newer drivers work with old kernels, just like it is for @IG-88 extra.lzma

All is not lost if you have the time and inclination. Even DSM on real Synology can compile loadable drivers that can be added via modprobe.

30 minutes ago, flyride said:

All is not lost if you have the time and inclination. Even DSM on real Synology can compile loadable drivers that can be added via modprobe.

a example for added drivers for normal retails dsm systems is this (5Gbit usb nic)

https://github.com/bb-qq/aqc111

as long as its working with the original dsm kernel (that we also use in xpenology) it can be done, there are things that can't be added like hyper-v as it nneds support in the kernel to be present

in theory a 918+ user could take my extra/extra2 for 918+ and use the *.ko files on a areal 918+, but the 918+ does not have a pcie slot, only usb3 so it would be just the usb nic drivers like aqc111 or r8152 (or some asix 100Mbit, 1G usb nics)

One more question (a litte bit off topic): Is it difficult to move a baremetal installation to an ESXi based installation? And would that setup run on an Asrock J3345-ITX 16 GB RAM, 2 x 12 TB with xpenology as a vm and other vms with access to the USB ports? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Release/Deployment of DSM 7.0 is starting on 29.June 2021 

Supported Synology NAS Systems/Models

21-series: RS2821RP+, RS2421RP+, RS2421+, RS1221RP+, RS1221+, DS1821+, DS1621+

20-series: RS820RP+, RS820+, DS1520+, DS920+, DS720+, DS620slim, DS420+, DS420j, DS220+, DS220j, DS120j

19-series: RS1219+, RS819, DS2419+II, DS2419+, DS1819+, DS1019+, DS419slim, DS119j

18-series: RS2818RP+, RS2418RP+, RS2418+, RS818RP+, RS818+, DS1618+, DS918+, DS718+, DS418, DS418play, DS418j, DS218+, DS218, DS218play, DS218j, DS118

17-series: RS217, DS1817+, DS1817, DS1517+, DS1517

16-series: RS2416RP+, RS2416+, RS816, DS916+, DS716+II, DS716+, DS416, DS416play, DS416slim, DS416j, DS216+II, DS216+, DS216, DS216play, DS216j, DS216se, DS116

15-series: RS815RP+, RS815+, RS815, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS1515, DS715, DS415+, DS415play, DS215+, DS215j, DS115, DS115j

14-series: RS2414RP+, RS2414+, RS814RP+, RS814+, RS814, RS214, DS414, DS414slim, DS414j, DS214+, DS214, DS214play, DS214se, DS114

13-series: DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS213j

Others: Virtual DSM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobdriver said:

Yes performance seems great. 
I guess YMMV depending on how much cpu and memory you assign to the VM 

I’ve not done much more than using the photos app and a few dockers at the moment. 

Hello can you give us some more information, such as the vm type you used, the type of loader you used and from which version of the DSM did you upgrade to 7.0 ??? as soon as I can I also do a test with a virtual machine starting from 6.2.3 up3

5 minutes ago, PincoPalla said:

Hello can you give us some more information, such as the vm type you used, the type of loader you used and from which version of the DSM did you upgrade to 7.0 ??? as soon as I can I also do a test with a virtual machine starting from 6.2.3 up3

Hi I think I have been misunderstood , I am running Synology VMM (virtual Machine Manager) on Xpenology as the host . 

I'm using the VirtualDSM pat file DSM 7.0-41890 

The Host machine is Xpenology DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 

DSM 7.0-41890 is running on the host machine in Synology VMM , No loader required . 

Iv'e given it 2GB Ram 

DSM.thumb.jpg.cdd430c72c4eba9107bfc4efe0c11209.jpg

34 minutes ago, Aigor said:

The new DSM could be a problem for  GEN8 owners, only a specific archs are getting DSM update, as far i saw nothing with Xeon CPU 

Yeah , this is kind of a work around for me to use the new Photos package , and mobile backup,  as there's no solution for running 7 on baremetal as yet . (As well as generally just having a play with the new release. Iv'e moved a few of my docker containers to DSM 7.0 , with no issue, both the Docker packages seem at the same release level between 6.2.3 and 7.0 ) 

As you say , no guarantee I'll ever be able to run DSM 7.0 on my HP Microserver Xeon G8 . 

For now running DSM 7.0 in a VM on my baremetal Xpenology G8 Box is meeting my requirements , but aware it does have limitations .  

My Server has a HBA card installed , and it would be nice to be able to pass this directly , or do RDM , however I don't believe that to be possible  . (maybe getting a little off topic here :)

Also following the developer discussion forum with interest , and you guys over there seem to be doing some great work .  

3 hours ago, Aigor said:

, there is also a cpu problem

in dont think so, synology had 7.0 preview/beta for DS3615xs and DS3617xs so people having installed that would not be able to downgrade back to 6.2.4 and should not be able to get 7.0 release? seems unlikely, maybe they will just wait a little longer for some units to release 7.0

[a litltle search on the internet and a few minutes later]

"...

DSM 7.0 final release for FS, SA, XS/XS+ and DVA series models is currently under development and will be available in Q4 (October – November – December) of 2021.

..."

so there is no cpu problem as they will still support older units with 7.0

but as we need a new loader it might depends on the decision of the one making it what unit will be supported but i guess having one that still supports older cpu's will be a thing as a lot of user use older hp microsevers and older server in general

maybe if some people haven't seen yet, there is a ongoing effort to document jun's loader and use that knowledge to make a new loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/44311-dsm-624-7-loader-major-kernel-changes/

so there is still hope we might see a loader for 6.2.4 or 7.0

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 6

On 6/30/2021 at 1:09 AM, scoobdriver said:

Yes performance seems great. 
I guess YMMV depending on how much cpu and memory you assign to the VM 

I’ve not done much more than using the photos app and a few dockers at the moment. 

I tried and it works pretty good! No performance issues at all. 

I've had to mount my original folders to the virtualDSM via nfs. Is that what you've had to do as well? 

49 minutes ago, toyanucci said:

I tried and it works pretty good! No performance issues at all. 

I've had to mount my original folders to the virtualDSM via nfs. Is that what you've had to do as well? 

I created new drives , and copied some data over , over SMB share.