XPEnology Community

Any plans for SRM?

test4321

001.jpg

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT1900ac

Any plans on getting SRM out there? Seems like this would be an incredible for making computers into very capable routers!

i think, it's impossible, i belive that this device has some other processor architecture instead x86 or x64. like ARM. And contributors(community) can not find some PC on the same architecture for developing and using new loader and new os version.

But, everything can be...

Not to be a jerk, but why on earth would you want this? There are tons of other resources for making (far better) routers out of commodity hardware that don't require a ton of networking knowledge. Several WRT distros are x86 capable now. I just don't really see what a Synology-branded solution buys you. I may be missing something, though, but I just don't see it on their page.

I was looking at this until I saw DD-WRT. Totally enhanced my small office and home office networking experience. I tried going through the Windows Server route, but it was a little too hardcore for me. Lastly, there is also pfsense, which already has custom hardware out there. There's a whole slew of existing router mods to try out - both hardware and software via Tomato, OpenWRT, or DD-WRT. In terms of hardware, 10 AWESOME AWESOME MODS:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2988590/computers/10-gloriously-excessive-pc-cooling-setups.html?phint=newt%3Dnetworkworld_week_in_review_alert&phint=idg_eid%3Da6683098335f4bab91c85b6acdf09df3#tk.NWWNLE_nlt_review_2015-10-02

I think you'll all find that VERY AMUSING!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At about ~$150 USD the Synology RT1900ac is probably one of the more economical wireless routers. It's also not one of the fastest either.

Theoretically though,.....

Maybe the ARM platform doesn't necessarily have to make such a project impossible. I'm only speculating here mind you but if you can run a VM within XPenology and emulation an ARM processor based platform then perhaps you can get SRM working virtually.

Going to pickup their router next month ^_^. Will post a review on xpenology.us 

Posted via Xpenology.us

Very cool,.....

I look forward to reading it.

I ordered one from Newegg recently and received it late this week. I haven't set it up completely yet but I did play with it a bit and made the logical configuration in the SRM. I just need to wire it into the network but I don't want to disrupt our internet service yet so I'll wait a bit. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

Going to pickup their router next month ^_^. Will post a review on xpenology.us

I'm also looking forward to it. I thought about picking up one myself, but settled on Asus RT-AC3200 instead. I just love it's OpenVPN server and the ability to choose between TUN and TAP. :smile: