XPEnology Community

DSM 6.0 Beta out

rikadoo

I personally hated ESXi. I don't know if I missed something glaringly obvious but my disk performance was dreadful. I couldn't get it to accept a USB 3 controller or RAID card. Not to mention the loss of SMART reading.

Just having the ability to run a win7/8/10 machine for Google Play Music will keep me all kinds of happy. Awesome nuts.

If you want performance on ESXI you need to either to do thick virtual disk that allocates disk space ahead of time, so it doesn't waste time expanding virtual image whenever you perform write operations. Or you can enable disk raw mapping. Another option is to passthrough the raid/sata controller(pcie) to a virtual machine.

Yes, indeed, the hardware compatibity is a real problem on ESXI. However, if your hardware is fully supported, it rocks.

It seems like an overkill to run the whole OS just for one application; especially if its something newer than XP. Why not use something like Plex that runs on most modern web browsers? I use it all the time to listen to music and watch videos.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/6.0beta

Got it's own Virtual Machine thingy in there. Oooo does that mean we can ditch ESXi?

Depends on your use case. If you want to run VMs directly from your NAS, it's useful.

ESXi is in no comparable to it.

I see using a VM as a basis for DSM as a good thing. For Synology it could simplify their code base across all their machines. For us aside from the security, it opens up the amount of software we can run, and as I'm sure you've all noticed, the Synologies need all the help they can get in that department.