XPEnology Community

Trying to install 1.04b Loader 918+

KaRouLi

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and I would like to start experimenting with Xpenology.

Been reading some hours now, but I cannot find the problem.

My system is:

Intel i5 - 4690K

8GB RAM DDR3

1xSata SSD

I found this tutorial and followed each step as best as I could. I wonder if there is a tutorial for 1.04b loader because that tutorial is for previous versions.

I found VID/PID of my usb drive, I used OSFMount to edit the grub.cfg file with the proper info and added the mac address of the NAS PC (not the workstation pc where I make the changes). In the SN part, I didn't edit anything, it didn't say anything for the 1.04b loader.

I burned the "synoboot.img" that i downloaded from here and here in the usb drive. I want to ask, is it normal that after the burn, i see two partitions? One which I can enter and see the files(extra.lzma, etc) and one partition that I cannot enter because it isn't formatted.

I reboot, I see the image in Point 7, then I go to find.synology.com. It found my NAS, I press install, it installed and then I see the "Restarting your NAS" with a 10-min countdown. It reached zero and then it said failed to find something.

Not sure if the burn was correct with these two partitions, or if the SN has to be completed somehow.

I would love some guidance if I do something wrong (most likely)! Thank you for your time and your patience reading all this stuff.

K.

Well....wether your NAS is seen on a LAN after the install (10mins countdown) it depends also on which NIC (LAN card) do you have! 

Intel NICs are more preferable then others...1.04b also has good coverage for realtek NICs..... 

In other case you have to do that "hocus-pocus" with extra drivers (extra/lzma....extra/lzma2) added to tge 2nd partition (that 30mb one) 

12 hours ago, Kamele0N said:

Well....wether your NAS is seen on a LAN after the install (10mins countdown) it depends also on which NIC (LAN card) do you have! 

Intel NICs are more preferable then others...1.04b also has good coverage for realtek NICs..... 

In other case you have to do that "hocus-pocus" with extra drivers (extra/lzma....extra/lzma2) added to tge 2nd partition (that 30mb one) 

Thank you for your reply.

After some research, I found what you are saying. That my NIC may be the problem. But, why I can find my NAS the first time through the LAN? It find the NAS, i finish the installation, and then after the 10-min countdown, it cannot find it anymore. My NIC is detectable the first time, but the second time.

I tried to add the 2nd partition with the 30MB, and i replaced both extra.lzma and extra.lzma2 with the new ones. I don't know if I'm supposed to replace just the extra.lzma.

It didn't work though, even with the replacement.

My NIC is Intel. I searched and found both the PID and VID to check if my NIC is supported in the extensive list in an excel file from the topic with the native drivers. It is. 

Am I doing something wrong here? Does it matter that I have a second lan card, which is a wifi adapter?

Thank you.

I have the same problem as yours :)

My onboard NIC is Realtek....first I have tought that I have driver problem....so I bought additional Intel NIC....my "synology" is recognized every time via both NICs....but not after reboot :)

So I think that it has to do something with settings in BIOS (legacy/UEFI/....) 

Or with Win32diskimager vs rufus settings when you are making bootable usb.... 

Or we are doing/repeating some wrong step somewhere in a process :)

Its even more frustrating when you already have one working xpenology (ds3615xs) so you know that it is managable.... 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kamele0N said:

BIOS settings: 

42 minutes ago, Kamele0N said:

I have the same problem as yours :)

My onboard NIC is Realtek....first I have tought that I have driver problem....so I bought additional Intel NIC....my "synology" is recognized every time via both NICs....but not after reboot :)

So I think that it has to do something with settings in BIOS (legacy/UEFI/....) 

Or with Win32diskimager vs rufus settings when you are making bootable usb.... 

Or we are doing/repeating some wrong step somewhere in a process :)

Its even more frustrating when you already have one working xpenology (ds3615xs) so you know that it is managable.... 

But they are talking about 1.03b loader. I use 1.04b loader for the 918+ platform. Loader 1.04b is okay with UEFI, right?

A small detail I overlooked previously! 

** FMA3 instruction support required. Piledriver is believed to be the minimum AMD CPU architecture to support the DS916+ and DS918+ DSM platforms.

Intel G3220 (my CPU) is Haswell.....but lacks FMA3 instruction set :(

1 minute ago, flyride said:

I think this is positive confirmation that FMA3 is indeed required (prior statement by inference and deduction only).  Turns out virtually all Pentiums don't have it, and no Celerons do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set

Sorry it won't work, but your processor upgrade is simple to a supported Haswell CPU.

I have an Intel  i5-4690K that supports FMA3. I've checked. CPU, NIC, iGPU all checked and are supported. Still, it cannot find my nas the second time after the reboot.

Solution provided by @flyride

I had to download the correct .pat file https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.3/25426/DSM_DS918%2B_25426.pat to make this work. Silly, but either I didn't supply any .pat file or supply the wrong one. Newbie mistake.

It worked like a charm and everything installed as intended.

Thank you for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Partial status update.... 

Since both the ds918+ and ds3615xs v6.1.7 booted normaly on my system (ds918+ failed later in a process since my Haswell Celeron lacks FM3 instructions)....and ds3615xs v6.2.3 didnt want to... 

I figured out that my BIOS settings are set to UEFI boot (ds3615xs v6.2.3 needs BIOS/CSM settings)....so I somehow managed to set my BIOS settings that ds3615xs v6.2.3 booted....and I was able even to set my synology account (I have entered my synology server).....but I dont know how/why.....I am no longer able to enter in it after my reboot.... 

So if there is one good soul with MSI h81m-p33 motherboard....if he or she can help me with BIOS settings? 

I have googled (msi h81m-p33 + csm settings) and have disabled support for Windows 8/8.1 (that enables CSM mode).....but there is plenty of other settings wich might intervene with xpenology loader... 

Tnx