XPEnology Community

HDD's price's

Due to problems with one hdd (hopefully solved) I've checked the prices of HDD's in local store. One hdd which costs 250 Euros two months ago now costs 400 E. And my local seller told me that trend will continue. After "chinese" coin depended on storage arrives there will be shortage of hdd's on a market (joining the chips shortage). I'm curious is it the same story everywhere?

3 hours ago, smilenkovski said:

Due to problems with one hdd (hopefully solved) I've checked the prices of HDD's in local store. One hdd which costs 250 Euros two months ago now costs 400 E. And my local seller told me that trend will continue. After "chinese" coin depended on storage arrives there will be shortage of hdd's on a market (joining the chips shortage). I'm curious is it the same story everywhere?

Yeah pretty much. SSD, SSDs are being gobbled up en masse.

If the coin flops, prices will return to normal. If not, manufacturers will need to spool up production. Figure we'll know either way in ~2yrs

#chiamining

Inflation in USA in beginning of the year is already 4.2% with predictions of 11% by the end of the year. Who knows whats gonna happen.

Prices are going up just in general - try looking at your RAM kit that you bought couple of years ago.

I bought mine at $300, now its DOUBLE the price.

If you look at HDD prices, they are somewhat the same. But if you really look - the manufacturers replaced CMR drives with SMR drives which is basically a bait and switch.

Same drives that you bought a year ago, are now using shittier and cheaper technology, but for the same price.

It‘s not only related to HDDs but to all electronic components. The shortage of various small components and parts  affects every industry. Classic hardware, network equipment, displays, cameras, drives, servos, … - guess where you can find electronic components today. 

Simple example: standard Dell 24“ display. Bought 12 of them in 09/2020 for 119€ each. Price today: 290€. 

Standard industry drive: price in 11/2020: 750€. Today: 1,600€. 

And beside the price spiral delivery times (especially in the industrial sector) have gone sky-high ☹️

I bought 8 12TB exos drives for $260CAD a piece in beginning of march, i recall they went down to $250 which I thought to myself if i should get couple more. Then everything ran dry. I saw some stock pop up couple weeks ago going for $285, all gone again. I'm not in desperation for more storage yet but its nearly impossible to get my hands on more if i wanted too or if i venture out to different outlets for the same drive its easily 40% more expensive.