XPEnology Community

Bare Metal Install G8 Microserver

venno

Hi

I need some help with an install. A friend has a G8 and wants to run Exponology bare metal as he doesn't want to run anything else on it (VM's). I have only done the ESXi VM install but I gave him a hand to try and install on his box.

We downloaded the latest Xpenoboot ISO and used rufus to create the usb boot disk. We then booted the G8 off the usb and it went thru to the 'waiting for trigger event' on the console screen and then just stops there. An IP has been assigned by DHCP but we could not connect to it via a web browser, also tried the Syno assistant and it says 'starting services' and will not allow a connection.

We have tried different thumb drives, win32 image writer, Xpenoboot image and ISO files but the result is always the same. Have also checked all the bios settings on the server and also updated all the firmwares.

Can anyone help out, have I missed a step in the install process?

Hi,

I assume you have at least 1 hard drive in the system ?? As to complete the setup of XPEnology it needs to write the OS to the HDD(s)

Also after the G8 eventually boots and loads the initial setup from the USB stick, what appears on the screen ??

I used a web browser and went to http://find.synology.com to connect to the new XPEnology server and complete the install (you will need to DL the relevant file first and then browse to it from the machine used to connect to it from the browser

I assume you have at least 1 hard drive in the system ?? As to complete the setup of XPEnology it needs to write the OS to the HDD(s)

Yes there is a HDD in bay 1, the bios is set for sata AHCI.

Also after the G8 eventually boots and loads the initial setup from the USB stick, what appears on the screen ??

The console connection shows the 'starting udev devices' and 'waiting for trigger' lines (wording may not be exactly correct, trying from memory as the G8 is not at my house). It does not proceed to the login display prompt as my ESXi VM does.

I used a web browser and went to http://find.synology.com to connect to the new XPEnology server and complete the install (you will need to DL the relevant file first and then browse to it from the machine used to connect to it from the browser

Using the synology assistant it finds the new DSM at the DHCP address but the connect button is greyed out and the status is shown as starting services. You can ping the IP address but attempting to connect with a web browser says the server/system at that address is down.