XPEnology Community

Video Interface Possible?

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to say thanks to the team who made this possible and to the admin team which organizes this forum. I have just successfully installed the latest XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5592.2 image on a ThinkPad X61T and it works very well. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to have access to the DSM UI from my notebook's display? I'm guessing that this would involve a video driver to be installed and since DSM is linux based, would the linux driver for this display work?

2. The notebook has a wifi card - however, DSM didn't recognize it and it asks me to plug in a wifi dongle. Is there any way for DSM to recognize the wifi card and use it accordingly?

3. I have access to four USB2.0 ports (including the ones from the ultrabase) and not including the one which has the sandisk 8gb memory card with DSM on it. The notebook also has an expresscard slot which I can turn into 2 esata ports. My question is: is there any way I can make DSM recognize HDDs connected to these external ports as internal disks which can be used as part of the SHR Volume? At the moment, they are recognized as external HDDs.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your reply.

P.S.: I currently have a DS212j server which works alright but at the time of purchasing there was little support in terms of choosing suitable HDDs and there was also a small number of NAS optimised HDDs. Therefore, the DS is much slower than I expected and is not as flexible as I expected. With several good notebooks laying around, I would like to turn one of them into a flexible NAS - this old thinkpad would be the best choice since it has so many external ports available plus optical drive, plus touch screen and a lot of external LEDs which show its behavior. I would like to upgrade to a 4 bay Synology soon but their price range for anything worth the price hardware wise is huge. This thinkpad an Intel Core 2 Due L7500 processor (1.6 GHz, 4 MB cashe - which still retails at around $200) and 2 GB Ram which I can easily expand to 4 GB for less than £10. It's also a low power CPU at only 17W and the entire system runs at less than 20W at the moment with one HDD. It would hence be the best option for a server and I could easily built a 6 HDD acrylic holder which can sit under the ultra base - hence my will to get this thing working as well as possible.

Again, thank you very much and I look forward to your insight.

Kind Regards,

Alex