XPEnology Community

terminal / console over vga on hp microserver

2012_dacia_dokker

Question

just installed an old version (6.1.7) on an old hp n36l microserver. i chose the 6.1.7 because i've been told that later versions have issues with the built-in NIC and i have no spare pci NIC.

i would like, however, to try and upgrade in the future. but since the n36l lacks a com port, i have no way of debugging during the procedure, unless i activate a console over vga.

earlyprintk=vga shows me some output, console=tty0 does jack s**t. is this possible at all, short of rebuilding the kernel?

TIA

Edited by 2012_dacia_dokker

2 answers to this question

Allow me to dispel your rumor, although all information herein is easily accessible via FAQ on this forum.

First of all you have a dual-core Athlon - not ideal from a performance/compatibility standpoint.  I believe that there is a BIOS setting that is required for older AMD chips.  No supported XPenology platform uses AMD however so Intel 4-core is preferred.  However, I would expect DSM 6.2.3 using DS3617xs platform and loader 1.03b to work. https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

VGA console has no function in DSM, so don't bother.  Most people never set up a serial port connection and are able to solve their problems without, but you may be able to add one via PCI or USB if necessary.  It is not a debugging requirement.  You should upgrade/install to a test environment in any case.

The Ethernet controller on that server is a HP NC107i which is a rebranded Broadcom.  That is supported on all versions of DSM, with newer driver available via extra.lzma.

Edited by flyride

On 5/25/2021 at 4:11 AM, 2012_dacia_dokker said:

just installed an old version (6.1.7) on an old hp n36l microserver. i chose the 6.1.7 because i've been told that later versions have issues with the built-in NIC and i have no spare pci NIC.

i would like, however, to try and upgrade in the future. but since the n36l lacks a com port, i have no way of debugging during the procedure, unless i activate a console over vga.

earlyprintk=vga shows me some output, console=tty0 does jack s**t. is this possible at all, short of rebuilding the kernel?

TIA

I am using Gen 7, with N54L CPU, so basically same family, using 1.03b loader + 6.2.3 the on board NIC works without problem, although I already have a Intel Pro 1000 PT Dual Port server NIC on it.