XPEnology Community

Poor performance. Any ideas to help improvement? (in esxi, but ...)

endormmc

Question

hi!

Installed dsm on esxi 6.7 and almost never goes over 30% cpu usage. Right now is thumbnailing and indexing lots of pictures, but on dsm and esxi cpu usage never peaks 100%. I tried compressing a big folder with lots of files at maximum compression and then it reaches 100%.

Right now is indexing and cpu is at 2-3%. IIRC when I tried on baremetal it worked the same way 

Specs

HP micro server G8

Xeon E3-1270v2

16GB RAM

HP Smart Array P410 in IT mode

VM:

DSM 6.2-23739

2 vcpu x1 socket each. No limit established 

12GB RAM

3x2TB WD red drives connected directly to dsm (passthrough)

2 answers to this question

I think you are discovering that much of the integrated open-source software used in DSM are older, single-threaded versions.  In particular, the thumbnail questions has been brought up before; the binary doing the work is just ffmpeg.  The version DSM uses is very, very old and lacks multithreading support.

Also, DSM is specifically designed not to max out CPU on a secondary process so that your NAS performance is not affected by these background activities.  You will find many of these supporting binaries running with high nice values, so that is deliberate on Synology's part.

You can try to hack in a newer version if you wish or just choose not use Synology's crippled-ware.  In virtually all cases there are current, well-maintained equivalent open-source packages available via docker.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, flyride said:

I think you are discovering that much of the integrated open-source software used in DSM are older, single-threaded versions.  In particular, the thumbnail questions has been brought up before; the binary doing the work is just ffmpeg.  The version DSM uses is very, very old and lacks multithreading support.

Also, DSM is specifically designed not to max out CPU on a secondary process so that your NAS performance is not affected by these background activities.  You will find many of these supporting binaries running with high nice values, so that is deliberate on Synology's part.

You can try to hack in a newer version if you wish or just choose not use Synology's crippled-ware.  In virtually all cases there are current, well-maintained equivalent open-source packages available via docker.

That's what I thought, thx a lot!