XPEnology Community

newbie xpenology Hyper-v setup

messerchmidt

hello,

I am looking for a step by step guide to setting up xpenology in windows server hyper v (preferably with pictures...)

the xpenology.nl site that hosted a guide seems to be down. Does anyone know of another one? is there a mirror of xpenology.nl?

I got pfsense working in hyper v. now just need to figure this out

I would recommend running XPenology on ESXi and not Hyper-v. Hyper-V doesn't support passthrough-mode for controllers and ESXi has better compatibility, at least when I was testing both solutions. I don't have a guide particular for Hyper-V, but for ESXi here: http://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/in ... -or-later/

It's more or less the same for Hyper-V. The only difference is that you'll have to passthough the drives or use RDM (don't) instead of your SATA-controller.

had it running on hyper v for a short time before i moved to bare metal...

hyper v is quite easy...just setup your virtual machine and i did "connect" whole physical drives to install the os while the system is installing itself...it also should work with virtual disks..

as for performance and other (auto startup and auto shutdown, hdd sleep,..) reasons i quickly moved to bare metal...

why you want to use it on top of hyper-v?

if you REALLY need an windows server, then you could virualize this one using phpvirtualbox on your expenology (if the hw is capable enough trough)...

I just did a testinstallation on Hyper-V 2012R2. It was very easy

Create a gen 1 virtual machine using the defaults.

Download the 5592 boot.iso and mount it in your VM.

Boot the VM and do the rest from Synology Assistant just like you would on a physical server.

Install the base os first, then update 2 and 4.

Do an extra reboot after update 4 and you will be good to go

• 1 month later...

I have now experimented with XPenology.

The iso file is not an option for me since it has to remain attached or it will not boot.

After converting the vmdk file to a vhd, I started the hyperV VM and installed.

Here, the booting got over written every time since Hyper V does not support persistent mode. (not even checkpoint worked)

so after every install, it reboots and reports missing operating system.

Anybody have an idea where to go from here?

I don't understand "The iso file is not an option for me since it has to remain attached or it will not boot"?

What's the difference in permanently mounting an ISO or VHD? As described in many threads every attached VHD will be overwritten during the setup.