XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++ (repack v1.3a)

• 2 months later...
Shutdown the VM and reupload/overwrite the vmdk(I suppose you converted the boot img file to vmdk) to your datastore.

I'm curious if you can finalize the installation, after it is restarted.

I've had the exact same problem, however when I replace the boot disk VMDK, I get prompted to install the DSM again, it's a loop I can't seem to figure out how to get past.

I have the same issue... (with the updated 4.2 version 1.2 (DS3612xs_3211-repack-trantor-v1.2))

The problem seems to be that the initial vmdk is treated as a regular disk and is overwritten in the installation.

Copying the vmdk over again fixes the boot error 22 but then Synology finds a disk without proper configuration and wants to overwrite it again (installation loop).

I am running on ESXi5.5 - i tried with esxi_synoboot_3202 (from the dummy guide) before - that worked ok, so its not ESX 5.5 - but that one didnt detect the SAS HBA i am pasing on -

this one actually didnt either (LSI 1068e, my 2008 seems to be broken), but thats another problem;)

@ spyrule:

Use the hard disk 2 as IDE(0:1), not as SCSI.

"esxi_install_3202_v2" is the only 4.2 version of DSM working on ESXi, having the VM configured with hard disk 2 as SCSI(0:0) (RDM or vmdk), controller SCSI Paravirtual.

Us the one from here Idiot's Guide to DSM 4.2 and ESXi 5.1

PS: The 4.2.3211 versions and newest DSM 4.3 from Trantor have the same 'problem'.

:idea::shock::eek: the plop idea sounds great, good point! I'm really curious about the result :?:

Edit: Using trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2, I've tried with plop and it boots fine, it looks like it is installing on the SCSI hard disk 2, after first reboot there is no Grub error 22, but it doesn't fix the problem for "Configuration lost" loop. :-|

Hm have you simply booted from the other device or did you actually add an usb drive ?

Will test the following tonight - am away all day:

Connect USB device to VMWare

Use plop to boot from USB stick

Remove USB Stick as in manual for non ESX environment! (maybe it already has written something on it which is gone when copying over again)

Install .pat file

Plug USB device back in

Yeah, did exactly what you had in mind.

Went even more creative and after first reboot I've mounted the boot vmdk to start from it, not from USB.

Seems like there is no need to unplug the USB stick when starting installation, as it is not able to write it using plop, as long as there is no Grub error anymore (or maybe I'm mistaking).

Never mind, you better try it also, maybe I'm doing something "different".

Hm was not able to pass the USB device properly ?

The only device i was able to pass on was my eUSB drive - which will work for me probably but not be a viable solution for everyone;)

So i went with the IDE trick for now as its easier to play around that way...

Dear Community,

i have installed this DSM Package on my HP-ProLiant Server on internal USB-Stick.

Now the Question: i have tried to install the System-Software on a internal harddrive.

i have currently 3 hard-drives in my System (1. 160GB SATA, 2. 500GB SATA, 3. 500GB SATA).

i want install this on the 1. hard-drive.

how i can do that? i have tried most ways, but no chance to get working ( i always get an grub error...)

can you help me?

thanks!

many greets

Hello,

thanks for your reply!

i have tried before i proceed to install Firmware (synology assistant) removed the usb stick.

you mean, i can install the DSM on raid?

what is possible?

2 raid harddrives only for use dsm (data + System)?

or works this only with

1 usb stick with the dsm System

2 2x2 sata raid1 for data?

can you help me?

THANK you!

many greets

Basically (as i understand it) the DSM will be installed to all connected drives at boot time or later when you add them.

But thats not an issue for raid; you can create volumes/raid groups any way you want at a later stage.

In your case - If you want raid 1 with 2 drives, both raid drives will have dsm (small part of the drive) but will work with raid 1 nevertheless.

The USB drive is only for booting as i understand it.

hello rand,

okay thank you.

another question:

how much the usb stick will be written or readen if DSM is running?

i have installed (1 year ago) freenas on a usb stick. so the freenas system usb stick was dead in one year (only 2mb from 16gb was recognized.

i think because freenas writes the logs everytime on the stick...

does read / wirte the xpenology so much like freenas, or not?

thank you very much!

• 4 months later...
first, very nice and good work.

I have a problem with my 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML. I Install the system without the controller and the system works. When I install the controller (with and without HDD) the system boot's up and when it is finish it's make a Shutdown. When you need the logfiles pleas tell me. Sorry for my bad English.

I also have this same problem with my 3ware raid card. The system shuts down. Have you found a solution for this?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...