XPEnology Community

Dell Optiplex 9020 MT Nightmare!

AkhilO

Hi,

I just bought an Optiplex 9020 MT off Ebay, to replicate my 3020, and encounter/ed the following issues:

- Prepared custom Bootloader - PID, VID, MAC & Srl. I would get nothing on pings on power-on

- I figured it was the 1217LM Card. Ordered myself a D-Link 928 PCI Card and that works great.

- I formatted the Samsung 256GB SSD and loaded the 1.03b Bootloader on to Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB.

- On boot, I see Happy Hacking on the monitor, and I can see diskstation on the IP Scanner & on IP webpage.

- I proceed to load "DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat" - and it starts the 10 minutes countdown timer on webpage.

- 60% or so onto the progress bar circle, the pings change from replies to "request timed out" & "destination unreachable".

- From there on, it goes nowhere. Reboot doesnt help - get the happy hacking screen but no responses.

- have also tried - changing from UEFI to MBR. And changed onboard raid to AHCI - no change 

In contrast, I've been running a Dell 3020 Optiplex MT - and that works great - is DSM_DS3615xs_25426.

- also has an inatec 4x USB 3.0 Ports 

- has 2x syba 9215 Sata controllers (Sata controllers not changed to 41)

- Runs 2x 8TB-3.5, 2x 2TB-3.5, 2x 500GB-2.5, 2x 512GB SSD's -

- Boots off Juns 1.03B on a Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB & 1x Intel 180GB as Base / Boot Drive.

Plan to add the 9020 as new primary since:

- 16GB Ram & i5 would give me a better Win10 VM Performance.

- Too many drives on the 3020 MT with just 290w PSU.

As you can tell, I'm not quite a NOOB but unable to figure where the issue is during installation.

PS: I also have a TP-Link PCIe NIC if its still a NIC issue.

Pls advise.

You’re trying to install 6.2 on the new server, your other server is running 6.3. 6.2 has known issues so try installing 6.3, also don’t forget to ensure that the new server has a different serial number & MAC address to your existing server.

Why this:

1 hour ago, AkhilO said:

I proceed to load "DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat"

And not this:

1 hour ago, AkhilO said:

I've been running a Dell 3020 Optiplex MT - and that works great - is DSM_DS3615xs_25426

It's odd that you don't repeat what you have done for the 3020 that is working. In that vein, you already know you have to change from UEFI.  This needs to be UEFI -> CSM otherwise you must rewrite the loader for MBR.

You might need extra.lzma for the NIC but the only way to tell is to load it or run down the PCI ID of the embedded card.

hi DFDS, 

5 minutes ago, Dfds said:

You’re trying to install 6.2 on the new server, your other server is running 6.3. 6.2 has known issues so try installing 6.3, also don’t forget to ensure that the new server has a different serial number & MAC address to your existing server.

6.3? I doubt that works with Jun's 1.03b? It's the same - I should have specified better:

Dell 3020 (tried last week)

- I start by loading the 6.2.3-23739 and then moved upto 25426.

- Further, tried  DSM 6.2.4-25554, but that failed so moved back to 6.2.3.25426.

And yes, Different Serial Numbers and MAC Addresses too. No Joy...

7 minutes ago, flyride said:

Why this:

And not this:

It's odd that you don't repeat what you have done for the 3020 that is working. In that vein, you already know you have to change from UEFI.  This needs to be UEFI -> CSM otherwise you must rewrite the loader for MBR.

You might need extra.lzma for the NIC but the only way to tell is to load it or run down the PCI ID of the embedded card.

Hi Flyride,

Thank you for responding - Don't have Legacy / Legacy with CSM / UEFI (like my HP Laptop does for example)

I only have Legacy and UEFI - both modes have Sandisk Ultra Fit 16gb for 1st boot device and Samsung HDD for 2nd (this is again identical to 3020)

Tried both - all that changes is the text goes smaller and sharper with UEFI, and bigger good-old-dos days kind of text in Legacy.

Else the boot menu and the text following is all identical - Legacy / UEFI.

"You might need extra.lzma for the NIC but the only way to tell is to load it or run down the PCI ID of the embedded card."

- instructions or links on extra.lzma, versions and steps would be appreciated. 

- happy to get PCI ID of either cards, but what do you do there?

1 hour ago, AkhilO said:

I only have Legacy and UEFI

For most systems, Legacy == CSM

1 hour ago, AkhilO said:

"You might need extra.lzma for the NIC but the only way to tell is to load it or run down the PCI ID of the embedded card."

- instructions or links on extra.lzma, versions and steps would be appreciated. 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyride said:

Flyride - nailed it!!! now running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

All that needed to be done is change the exta.lzma file from the link you sent below

Now, being greedy, I'm v0.11 of teh LZMA. I understand there are much newer versions - like 0.6 or even 0.7

Would you be able to advise on that for the 3615xs