XPEnology Community

i7-4770s or i3-8100?

asheenlevrai

Hi,

What's the best CPU for an xpen rig (among the following two)?

- i7 4770S 4cores/8threads. Passmark : 6836 (single thread: 2146).  (Intel HD4600)

- i3 8100   4cores/4threads.  Passmark : 6129  (single thread: 2242). (Intel UHD630)

UserBenchmark.com considers the 8100 as 3% faster

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Best,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, flyride said:

Technically more threads are better.  In reality the difference will be imperceptible.

Would it make a difference if multiple clients are accessing the volume concurrently via a bond connection (4x 1GbE)?

Is this a use case where more threads would make a significant difference or not?

16 hours ago, flyride said:

Ivy Bridge processors are too old to run DS918+ (don't support FMA3) but AVX is irrelevant to NAS.  As long as you are happy with DS3615xs/DS3617xs (no transcoding) they are fine.

Yes I forgot to mention that I would obviously using ds3617xs for intel 3rd gen-based Xpen rigs.

I am not totally aware of what features are different between ds3617xs and ds918+ (except for transcoding, which I have no use for)

Maybe I should give you a better view of what I need to do and what hardware I have available. This way you might give me valuable advice:

I need 4 NASes:

- 2 backup servers (will receive backups from another Synology NAS, LAN and/or WAN): Lots of disk space. Single GbE connection. Active only once a week.

- 1 file server (will serve multiple LAN clients concurrently): Lots of disk space. Bond connection (4x GbE). Active daily.

- 1 Wiki host / file server (will serve multiple LAN clients concurrently): 2 small SSDs in RAID1 for the wiki. a few HDDs in RAID5 for other files. Bond connection (4x GbE). Active daily. Wiki files will be accessed very frequently. Files on the HDDs will seldom be accessed.

Now, I have the following hardware available:

- 1x Z68 Express-based motherboard (intel 3rd gen CPUs : several i5-3470 or 1x i7-3770 or 1x i7-3770k)

- 1x Z77-based motherboard (intel 3rd gen CPUs : several i5-3470 or 1x i7-3770 or 1x i7-3770k)

- 2x Z87-based motherboard (intel 4th gen CPUs : 1x i7-4770s or 2x i7-4770k or 2x i7-4790k)

- 1x Z97-based motherboard (intel 4th gen CPUs : 1x i7-4770s or 2x i7-4770k or 2x i7-4790k)

- 1x Z370-based motherboard (intel 8th gen CPU : 1x i3-8100)

CPUs in bold are 4cores/4threads only (others are 4c/8t)

I would like to use the lowest possible hardware for the NASes and save the better one for workstations. However, I need the wiki host NAS and the file server NAS to be as performant as possible (bottleneck being only the network, which I cannot upgrade).

Which hardware would you chose for each rig?

Thanks ;)

-a-

Edited by asheenlevrai
typo

These are all so similar I am not sure it matters that much.  The likelihood of actually saturating a 4x bond with less than say 20 clients is very low.  Unless you can nail up a Gbe connection all day, it's not even worth the complexity of setting up a bonded connection.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyride said:

These are all so similar I am not sure it matters that much. 

The likelihood of actually saturating a 4x bond with less than say 20 clients is very low.  Unless you can nail up a Gbe connection all day, it's not even worth the complexity of setting up a bonded connection.

The number of concurrent clients should be around 20-30.

I already have the NICs (PCIe2.0 x4, 4 ports) around and it seems to me that setting up a bonded connection in DSM is pretty straightforward, right?

Anyway, it good to know that I don't need to focus too much on what MB/CPU combo I will use for each of these rigs.

Thanks again :)

Best,

-a-