XPEnology Community

DS running 6.2.4 : wait?

asheenlevrai

Hi :)

I have a DS414 running DSM 6.2.4-something and I would like to migrate it to an xpen rig for more flexibility.

However, AFAIU XPEnology currently supports DSM up to 6.2.3, right?

I guess there is no way for me to do what I want right now. There is no way to downgrade DSM to 6.2.3, right?

I guess I need to wait for XPEnology to support 6.2.4 or higher, right?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

PS: How often does XPEnology updates its loaders? I guess it is not so frequent obviously, right?

DS414 is a 32-bit ARM model and cannot be migrated directly to the platforms that XPe supports.

Regardless, you should install DSM clean on an XPe box, then copy your data instead of migrate so that you are not hit later with the 16TB volume limit coming from the 32-bit platform.

FMI: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_and_later

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hello all, just wanted to add to this discussion

I have a DS216j which is a 32-bit ARM NAS. I wanted to migrate to my own XPEnology install, and used some old Ivy Bridge based hardware to do this. My DS216j was running 6.2.4 Update 2. Being on the wrong arch and a newer version, I wasn't hopeful to directly "migrate" without reformatting my disks. Each of my drives were in their own storage pool with one volume per pool (i.e. I did not use RAID). Please note that I did a backup of my files to other storage that's not part of my XPEnology setup. You should do this too. I also recommend backing up DSM configuration and applications if you plan on using those later.

My setup and process:

• ESXi 6.7 was installed on to a USB.
  • I grabbed the XPEnology OVF and VMDK files from here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13019-tuto-configs-toute-prête-pour-vmware/
    • ds3617xs with Loader 1.03b
  • I have an SSD that I plan to use for application install and some docker containers, so I created a virtual 32GB disk and attached it to the VM.
  • I booted up DSM and set it up without any of my hard disks attached or mapped.
  • Then, I applied the Synoboot fix to upgrade to 6.2.3 Update 3: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/
  • My two disks were attached to the Z77 chipset's SATA ports. I passed these disks to the XPEnology VM using Raw Device Mapping: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017530
    • They were attached to SATA Controller 1
  • After a reboot, DSM was able to detect my drives, identify the storage pools, volumes and my shares, set them up, and make them available.
  • Storage Manager indicated that there was some error with my drive, and I had to Repair them. After clicking Repair my volumes were no longer degraded.

Now I can access my files without having to reformat my disks. I did however lose all my installed Synology applications and previous configuration files, but that didn't matter to me. They still remain on the drives in @appstore and other residual folders, which I'll manually clean up.

Edited by Ambifacient

On 1/2/2022 at 8:38 AM, Ambifacient said:

I did however lose all my installed Synology applications and previous configuration files, but that didn't matter to me. They still remain on the drives in @appstore and other residual folders, which I'll manually clean up.

thats to expect as you changed the cpu platform completely from arm to x86/x64 it might not end up that bad if you are migrating from a x64 based system and the package is a native x64 one so it might migrate between bromolow (3615) ,broadwell (3617) or apollolake without an loss (if its a clean x64 spk)