XPEnology Community

[DSM6.2 / 1.03B] Nothing happens after booting from USB

Operations8

I have managed to install DSM 6.2 with (ds3615x) 1.03b loader on some old hardware months ago.

I would like to do this again (different hardware) and for some reason it is not working.

I am using a Supermicro X11SCL-F with a 9100f and 16GB, SSD 120GB Samsung EVO 840 & WD 1GB Green HDD.

I have changed VID/PID, SN and MAC address in the grub config file.

When i boot from the USB stick (Verbatim TO GO 16GB) i am seeing the menu, but after that i am not able to find the "Synology". I have tried rebooten en using the option REINSTALL. but also no go.

I have tried UEFI/Legacy boot, Serial port is on. SSD and HDD are in AHCI mode.

Any ideas?

This happened to me with a few machines.

Somehow the "installer" has the driver to use the network card, and installs with success.

But in the real (DSM) installation the network card isn't supported.

I have fixed it by doing the following:

* Temporary install an extra (but native supported card) network card. 

* After the normal install en post installation settings, enable SSH in the control panel (can be find under Terminal and SNMP settings)

* download the linux drivers online

* copy the installer files to your NAS

* install the driver with the SH script (don't forget to SUDO)

*** sometimes you need to reboot your NAS before it will work.

If there is no driver available, then there is probably no easy way to fix it.

You could try to compile the driver yourself with the toolchain, if you have never done this before, it is a pain in the a**

Most of the time is just cheaper to buy a supported network card (Almost all Intel NICs are supported)

1 hour ago, Eterraniel said:

This happened to me with a few machines.

Somehow the "installer" has the driver to use the network card, and installs with success.

But in the real (DSM) installation the network card isn't supported.

I have fixed it by doing the following:

* Temporary install an extra (but native supported card) network card. 

* After the normal install en post installation settings, enable SSH in the control panel (can be find under Terminal and SNMP settings)

* download the linux drivers online

* copy the installer files to your NAS

* install the driver with the SH script (don't forget to SUDO)

*** sometimes you need to reboot your NAS before it will work.

If there is no driver available, then there is probably no easy way to fix it.

You could try to compile the driver yourself with the toolchain, if you have never done this before, it is a pain in the a**

Most of the time is just cheaper to buy a supported network card (Almost all Intel NICs are supported)

Thanks for your reply.

I get what you are saying, and it worked.. i inserted a NC112T PCI-E 1Gbit card.

But.... it doesn't really make sense... The onboard NICs are Intel. And after i was able to reach DSM the onboard cards where working fine. So i just removed the pcie card and everything is working fine.

So i fine remember this fix for sure... but i am not getting it 😛

Different question, with regards to updates i see all the red flags and tons of topics... but isn't there an easy way to see if it is safe to upgrade from let say 6.2.4 => 6.2.5?

Edited by Operations8

1 hour ago, djvas335 said:

6.2 has issues with original loader, you better use 6.3, do not use 6.4 yet, no loader

Thank for the tip!

but the question was kinda more how do i get to know in an easy-ish way what upgrade to do and which not to do (yet)?

Can i do a upgrade from 6.2 => 6.3 ? Is this risk free? Not that there is anything important on the synology yet ;)

One more question... How do i make a complete backup on the DSM settings and installed apps etc.? Just in case i want to change hardware or a upgrade fails or for some other reason.

Edited by Operations8