XPEnology Community

12 bay HP G1610T Microserver Possible??

omar

So I bought a HP G1610T microserver back in May to set up my first ever media server.

Got everything I want working, except WOL from outside my network.

But then looking around I read that some people are making 12 drive xpenology servers.

Is there a way to expand my G1610T server or attach an array of external drives in order to make a 12 bay server?

Any tips or guides welcome. Thanks

You would need to install a PCI-E SATA RAID controller with 16 ports (not seen any with 12 specifically) and which fits in the Microserver chassis. LSI and HP have them but not sure on which would fit and aren't what you would call cheap... unless you get find older one which is SATA II. - Not sure if the benefits of SATA III over II in a small Microserver would warrant the cost IMHO.

Snooki

Um I have an 8 bay using a Fujitsu/LSI SAS controller http://docs.ts.fujitsu.com/dl.aspx?id=a9d368cc-687c-4ee4-a309-05a927bd1c5c and a 4 Bay Silverstone TS431S SATA HDD Storage Tower for expansion.

I didn't have to modify the controller firmware, it just worked out of the box. As the card has an unused external port I would think that a second enclosure would work fine. I've used up 9 of my twelve using an SSD as a cache but I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

8 port controller from Ebuyer, 4 bay enclosure and SFF8088 to SFF8088 cable from Scan.

Yes, it cost more than another Microserver.

• 3 months later...

I completely forgot about this.

I'm used to normal home PCs, so have not experience with SAS controllers or anything regarding servers.

I cant seem to find the link, but I remember a guy using older HP microservers.

He bought 2 more faulty ones, used those as an enclosure the connected the 2 to his main server.

This allowed him to create a 12 bay xpenology server.