XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2.x on ESXi 6.7/7.0 as BAREMETAL

snailium

2021-08-17T08:28:35.374Z| vmx| | I005: USB: Found device [name:synoboot.vmdk vid:0e0f pid:0005 speed:super family:storage virtPath:usb_xhci:3 deviceType:virtual-storage info:0000001 version:3], connected to usb_xhci port 3.

The vid and pid for virtual mass storage don't change in ESXi 7.0.

From the previous serial.log, there is no OS can be selected to boot.

I'm not sure where the problem is. But it worth a try to change VM compatibility (from 7.0 to 6.7).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, Wurstwasser said:

This actually works great. I am using a passed through Dell H200 HBA flashed to LSI IT-Mode. Also i am using a virtual SATA-Controller from ESXi with one disk in addition.

The only thing i noticed is that you have to use common_args instead of sata_args to define your port mappings.

The variable sata_args is ignored it seems.

My mapping is this:

Bay 1-8 Dell H200

Bay 9 VMware Disk

Hello @Wurstwasser, I have same situation to passthrough LSI9211-8i, but the vSATA drive use bay 2. I'd like to move it to bay 9 also. Could you share the detail of port mapping?

thx

Hi @aerolite,

my grub.cfg has those args set:

set extra_args_918='earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 earlyprintk loglevel=15'
set common_args_918='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS918+ vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_hdd_detect=0 syno_port_thaw=1 SasIdxMap=0 DiskIdxMap=08 SataPortMap=1'
set sata_args=''

Edited by Wurstwasser

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, klutch14u said:

Anyone ever get this working in ESXi 7.0x?  I rebuilt using hardware version 6.7 & later (14) but still no go, never gets and IP as others have experienced.

You need to set the VM network controller to "e1000e", not "VMXNET 3".

Also, you can add a serial port to your VM, and let it output to a file. Check the output file after you see Jun's message. Probably it will give you some hint.

52 minutes ago, snailium said:

You need to set the VM network controller to "e1000e", not "VMXNET 3".

Also, you can add a serial port to your VM, and let it output to a file. Check the output file after you see Jun's message. Probably it will give you some hint.

I've tried both types of NIC's, no IP address, just like others ran into.  I've tried the serial output as well but didn't lead me anywhere useful.  

I have an older DS3615 VM built quite some time back, pre 7.0 but runs under 7.0 now.  It has the VMXNET3 adapter and works just fine (just for a matter of saying the VMXNET3 does work).