XPEnology Community

To bond or not to bond

SnowDrifter

Still learning networking. Need a quick hand here on how to implement stuff

Have 10 gig nics in the mail

Switch has 2x 10g ports, 8x 1g ports

1 10g port goes to my computer

Another will go to the nas

On the nas side, I'll have a second 10g port available, along with 2x onboard 1g

So..... What do I do with the extra connections? Plug them into 1g on the switch and bond? Or would that be apt to cause issues with 10g+1g?

If you plan to connect your PC to your NAS using 10GbE via a 10GbE switch, I don't see any reason to add a redundant slower connection (1x 1GbE or bond of multiple 1GbE).

It would not allow the PC to connect to the NAS via the slower connection. It would allow the NAS to connect to the LAN (and web) via both connections, maybe... So it could be some kind of a redundant connection in case your NAS 10GbE NIC fails? I mean, if the switch fails there are no longer any functional connection anyways...

I may be completely wrong, though. I'd be interested to read other replies to your question.

Best,

-a-

One thing is for sure is that it doesn't make any sense to bond 1GbE connections except if you have multiple clients that need to access the NAS at 1GbE each. In your case, local clients would probably(*) go through the 10GbE and potential clients outside your LAN would have their bandwidth limited by your internet connection anyway.

(*)I don't know how incoming connections are managed when multiple Ethernet connections are available. This is an interesting topic, though.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, asheenlevrai said:

One thing is for sure is that it doesn't make any sense to bond 1GbE connections except if you have multiple clients that need to access the NAS at 1GbE each. In your case, local clients would probably(*) go through the 10GbE and potential clients outside your LAN would have their bandwidth limited by your internet connection anyway.

(*)I don't know how incoming connections are managed when multiple Ethernet connections are available. This is an interesting topic, though.

Also nothing that bonding 1gbe is helpful if I'm say... Transferring to/from the nas, and the nas is doing anything out to the internet. Plex stream, cloud backup, torrent.. yadda yadda. Single 1gbe connection is pretty uber bottleneck.

It'd be cool to have a 10gig connection direct to my computer + 1g for whatever else would need it outside (gigabit internet) but again... Not sure how it's handled within the system and if having a goofy bond setup like that would be more detrimental than helpful. In a perfect world, I'd have 3...

10gbe to my computer
1gbe to the switch to handle other machines on the network (primarily streaming / smaller file syncs)
1gbe to the router for going out to the internet. Then theoretically, any bottlenecks would be the result of my hardware, and not interfaces. But if that would work remains a mystery

Edited by SnowDrifter

11 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

10gbe to my computer
1gbe to the switch to handle other machines on the network (primarily streaming / smaller file syncs)
1gbe to the router for going out to the internet.

as you are using 918+ please keep in mind that its default config will only support 2 nic's

you should change synoinfo.conf before adding a card with two more ports

mentioned here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

->

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IG-88 said:

as you are using 918+ please keep in mind that its default config will only support 2 nic's

you should change synoinfo.conf before adding a card with two more ports

mentioned here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

->

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

Nice thanks
Got them pre set. Now if the mail would hurry up!

Also still uncertain about the bonding behavior