XPEnology Community

Where is the operating system on real synology?

Aigor

My question, I saw a bios in DSM Software and it seems a regular AMI bios for mobo, someone over there do you know how it works a real synology without any DSM installed on it?

There is a sort of flash disk on real synology hardware where is installed a tiny OS to boot and show web installation server?

My insane mind start to think about a bios modification in a way to mimic a real synology hardware, if this should work we can midify bios and we could avoid the use of bootloader, but i dont know how works a real synology hardware.

My question, I saw a bios in DSM Software and it seems a regular AMI bios for mobo, someone over there do you know how it works a real synology without any DSM installed on it?

There is a sort of flash disk on real synology hardware where is installed a tiny OS to boot and show web installation server?

My insane mind start to think about a bios modification in a way to mimic a real synology hardware, if this should work we can midify bios and we could avoid the use of bootloader, but i dont know how works a real synology hardware.

Why you want to modify the bios?

Why is it a problem to have the bootloader on USB?

What I have read on this forum over the last half year. Suggest that a real synology also operate with a "bootloader", which is on a storage unit. I even think that the storage unit is connected with some kind of USB connection since I recall reading that you can exclude your bootloader USB by modifying your boot-files to exclude your own USB device, so it doesn't show in DSM just like a real synology. - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5605

Why you would prefer to use a bios-mod, which is more risky for your hardware than a bootloader is beyond my understanding.

because i'm curious, normaly i build bios for my hackintosh, i have all the tools needed, software and hardware, i can program bios with programmer, i can desoldering smd chip,

and i would like to do almost a real synology

I have read something similar in this forum, but the user that did this trick, did not want to share how he did it, so it's possible.

A real synology isn't much different then what we do. Internally there is a little usb flash board that plugs into a usb header. On it is the bootloader.

The only difference is it looks for specific hardware to make sure you're a real synology, which is what hacked on our versions. And the only reason it does that is because people make it work on other hardware, and synology is trying to prevent that.

I think that modifying the actual bios you are running is probably pretty dangerous; the bios determines how to communicate with the underlying hardware, so modifying it could potentially break your hardware or just make it un-usable with the modification. I think a safer solution would be to stick with a custom bootloader, but instead of having the bootloader patch away all the Synology hardware checks it would emulate the hardware that Synology is expecting. It would be nice if the emulated hardware would only be used for the Synology Hardware Checks, so that any other functionality would get passed directly to the appropriate layer without going through the emulation.

I don't have any experience with implementing what i described above, but sounds like what you are describing.

I think that modifying the actual bios you are running is probably pretty dangerous; the bios determines how to communicate with the underlying hardware, so modifying it could potentially break your hardware or just make it un-usable with the modification. I think a safer solution would be to stick with a custom bootloader, but instead of having the bootloader patch away all the Synology hardware checks it would emulate the hardware that Synology is expecting. It would be nice if the emulated hardware would only be used for the Synology Hardware Checks, so that any other functionality would get passed directly to the appropriate layer without going through the emulation.

I don't have any experience with implementing what i described above, but sounds like what you are describing.

That would be the best way of doing it. It's what they do for Hackintosh (running apples mac OS on other hardware).

https://giuliomac.wordpress.com/2014/02 ... ackintosh/