XPEnology Community

Video Format Compatibility, Photo Station, and DLNA

htc2010

I have a mix of video formats on my DS but am really frustrated at how poorly the DS Photo App and Media Server handle video. I know a lot of people have the same issue and many have tried all sorts of fixes, but there does not seem to be a cure-all for compatibility. But overall, I'm trying to understand what the difference is between using the DS Photo Station web portal to view video and using the Photo Station App? I noticed that when using the web portal, pretty much most if not all videos play without issue. but on the DS Photo App, most don't. And on DLNA, it's somewhere in between in terms of compatibility. In my setup:

1) Media indexing is enabled, in the correct folders

2) Mobile Playback is enabled

3) Photo Station & Media Server packages are installed

Does anyone have specific experience with this and a general recommendation on a compatible video format that is good for DS Photo use? :geek:

• 4 months later...

have you tried DS video for those files? Also, in DLNA, it might be that the rendering client wont play the video format, depending on the clients features. Have you checked that your client 'works' with the file formats you have? Check the codecs carefully (maybe play in VLC to check them) to see.