XPEnology Community

Xpenology to Synology

cstout

I know I've seen a post somewhere either here or on another Xpenology forum but I could not find it...

Is there a way to take the hard drives from an Xpenology setup and put them into a real Synology without any data loss? I know you can export/import Syno DSM settings...but can you physically move the drives into a real Syno box without losing data?

If this is possible and there's a walkthrough or related topic would you please provide a link?

Thank you!

I've found many topics covering migration from real to fake and it looks like that's mostly always successful by using the "Migrate" option when Xpenology first boots. I also found a Synology article that makes me wonder if the migrate option will not be possible for real Synology hardware due to Xpenology being configured as a DS3612xs (12-bay) and it would be migrating to a 4-bay. Does anyone know if the Xpenology model information is stored in the hard drives at all? My fear is that the real Synology box would detect it as a 12-bay model and will prevent migration from showing as an available option. Link: https://originwww.synology.com/en-us/kn ... orials/484

Hi Trantor, thanks so much for the reply. That's actually the same link I posted which caused me to question the 12-bay vs 4-bay issue. If I do attempt to move the disks from Xpenology to a Synology and the migrate function throws a model error where would I go in Xpenology to change the model number to something like the DS415?

Hi Trantor, thanks so much for the reply. That's actually the same link I posted which caused me to question the 12-bay vs 4-bay issue. If I do attempt to move the disks from Xpenology to a Synology and the migrate function throws a model error where would I go in Xpenology to change the model number to something like the DS415?

If you only have 4 or less drives, it should work via migration. I have moved before from HP54l (4 drives DS3612xs) to DS412+ with no problems.