XPEnology Community

Can I change Raid 5 to Raid 6

Chalky

Question

Can I change from Raid 5 to Raid 6 without any major issues?

my system DS3615xs - DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3

hardware - i7 3770K/P8Z77-V pro (8 sata board)/8Gb ram with 1x LSI SAS 9201-8i

8x 4TB hard drives in raid 5 & 2x 250GB SSD's cache (at present 6 sata's go to MB & 4 sata's to LSI card)

I wanted to add an extra (9th) 4TB HDD for the extra parity, but I've read somewhere that raid 6 needs to run off hardware raid & whereas raid 5 can run off software raid ?

4 answers to this question

DSM and MD are software solutions.  No hardware RAID is desired or required.

You cannot change RAID 5 to RAID 6 using the UI.  If you are not using SHR (you really have a RAID5), it can technically be done via command line.

Remove your cache before trying anything like this. Have a complete backup.

Be advised, it will take an extremely long time (4-5 days) for the conversion to complete, and performance will be worse using RAID 6.

My Volume is Raid 5, it was at 81% usage - right now it's expanding from 7 to 8x 4TB hard drives (84%@50Hrs)

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

synology help also shows it as possible

the UI appeared to show that raid 5 -> raid 6 was just as easy as expanding .. but I assumed this would need raid hardware

9 hours ago, flyride said:

it can technically be done via command line

I'm not command line nor technically savvy 

Storage Manage -> RAID Group -> DSM Help ( within my system)

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I used this as a guide to Expand

To expand the size of a RAID Group

You can expand the size of a RAID Group by replacing existing hard disks with ones of larger size or by adding hard disks.

Note:

To expand a RAID Group with 3 TB or larger disks, make sure your RAID Group was created using DSM 3.0 or later.

To expand a RAID Group by replacing existing hard disks with ones of larger size:

You can expand a RAID Group by replacing existing hard disks with ones of larger size in the following RAID types:

RAID 1

RAID 5

RAID 6

RAID 10

RAID F1

Associated volumes or iSCSI LUN on RAID Group for single volume or iSCSI LUN will be expanded automatically. Please follow the steps below:

Turn off your Synology NAS. You can skip this step if your model supports hot-swapping.

Replace one hard disk with another of larger size.

Turn on the Synology NAS and repair the RAID Group.

Repeat step 1 to 3 until all hard disks are replaced with ones of larger size.

The system will expand the RAID Group automatically.

Note:

All services of Storage Manager will be temporarily stopped during the expansion process.

You can only expand the hard disk when the RAID Group is in Normal status; otherwise it will cause data loss. If the RAID Group is in Degraded status, please repair it first.

To expand a RAID Group by adding hard disks:

This function is applicable with JBOD, RAID 5, RAID 6 and RAID F1 types of RAID. To do this:

Select the RAID Group you want to expand.

Click Manage.

Select Add Disk.

Follow the wizard to complete setup.

Note:

The RAID Group status must be Normal.

For RAID 5, RAID 6 and RAID F1 types of RAID Group, the hard disk size must be larger than the smallest disk in the RAID Group.

The status of the selected hard disk must be "Initialized" or "Not Initialized".

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

So assumed I could use this guide to change Raid Type

To change the RAID type of a RAID Group

To change the RAID type of a RAID Group, there must be available hard disks installed on your Synology NAS. Currently, the following types of RAID change are supported:

Basic to RAID 1 or RAID 5

RAID 1 to RAID 5

RAID 5 to RAID 6

Add mirror disk to RAID 1

Please follow the steps below to change the RAID type of your RAID Group:

Select the RAID Group you want to change.

Click Manage.

Select Change RAID type.

Follow the wizard to complete the process.

Note:

A RAID Group's status must be Normal before its RAID type can be changed. Otherwise data loss will occur. If the RAID Group is in Degraded status, please repair it first.

To change a RAID Group's RAID type, enough hard disks must be installed on your Synology NAS, and the size of the new disk must be larger than the smallest disk in the RAID Group.

The status of the new disk must be "Initialized" or "Not Initialized".

The RAID type of a RAID Group with multiple RAID Arrays cannot be changed.