XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] AX88179 driver for DSM 3.2 and up

totalnas

Great news!

Kernel module (driver) for external Gigabit USB 3.0 devices based on AX88179 for DSM 4.2 x64:

• ax88179_178a:
http://pastebin.com/zr5jgd9N

As usual, UUDECODE the file, decompress it, copy the ".ko" file to "/lib/modules/" and you can start working after:

$ insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.ko
$ insmod /lib/modules/ax88179_178a.ko

I hope next binary releases will include this great driver! :lol:

How to compile the driver for new releases:

• 1) Setup the environment to compile the XPEnology kernel/modules (I don't explain this).
    2) Download the driver sources for Linux from
http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=131
3) Go to "x86_64-linux-gnu/source/linux-3.x/drivers/net/usb/" and copy these source files from the package: "asix.h" and "ax88179a.c"
4) Edit file "x86_64-linux-gnu/source/linux-3.x/drivers/net/usb/Makefile" and add this line "obj-$(CONFIG_USB_NET_AX88179) += ax88179_178a.o"
5) Edit file "x86_64-linux-gnu/source/linux-3.x/drivers/net/usb/Kconfig" and add this code:
config USB_NET_AX88179
       tristate "ASIX AX88179_178A Based USB 3.0/2.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters"
       depends on USB_USBNET
       select CRC32
       default y
       help
         This option adds support for ASIX AX88179_178A based USB 3.0/2.0
         10/100/1000 Ethernet adapters.

This driver should work with at least the following devices:
           * ASIX AX88179

This driver creates an interface named "ethX", where X depends on
         what other networking devices you have in use.

6) As usual, configure and compile from the path "x86_64-linux-gnu/source/linux-3.x/". You found the new driver in the menuconfig, already enabled as a module.

Best! :razz:

i have a small issue. When entering insmod:

/lib/modules/usbnet.ko

i get:

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/usbnet.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

I presume the usbnet.ko is not right for my:

Linux nas 3.2.30 #3202 SMP Fri Mar 1 01:03:15 CST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromolow_3612xs

?

Any suggestions or sharing the right usbnet.ko for me?

Thanks!

/lib/modules/usbnet.ko

i get:

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/usbnet.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

Sure, you need to update the version of the "usbcore.ko" module

See: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915#p4292

In my system the driver is working (connected to an USB 2.0 port). You need to configure the new ethX manually.

:grin:

/lib/modules/usbnet.ko

i get:

In my system the driver is working (connected to an USB 2.0 port). You need to configure the new ethX manually.

I already had the modified USB drivers installed and added this one to /lib/modules/ and ran the insmod commands. However, my interface just not show up in either in the web console or in the terminal when I use the ifconfig command.

What else can do I do the debug the problem?

I'm running 4.2 x64 build 3211.

Thanks.

Hi totalnas,

Today i found some time for playing with my xpenology and actually "completing" my DYI xpenology nas and installed the USB OHCI modules (working) but also the AX88179 module.

I got no error messages this time, and this is the partial output for /var/log/messages.

Still, i cannot see the new ax88179 interface.

Any help? :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Later edit: SOLVED! Help taken from: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-configuring-network-interface-cards-on-debian/ :mrgreen:

[ 1679.260840] usbip 4-5:1.0: Enter
[ 1679.260851] usbip 4-5:1.0: 4-5 is not in match_busid table... skip!
[ 4002.740046] ASIX USB Ethernet Adapter:v1.4.0 14:57:17 Jul  2 2013
[ 4002.740053]          http://www.asix.com.tw
[ 4002.740137] ax88179_178a 1-4:1.0: (unregistered net_device): mtu 1500
[ 4002.752130] ax88179_178a 1-4:1.0: eth1: register 'ax88179_178a' at usb-0000:00:12.2-4, ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigibit Ethernet, 80:3f:5d:09:06:7b
[ 4002.755558] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a

/lib/modules/usbnet.ko

i get:

I already had the modified USB drivers installed and added this one to /lib/modules/ and ran the insmod commands. However, my interface just not show up in either in the web console or in the terminal when I use the ifconfig command.

What else can do I do the debug the problem?

I'm running 4.2 x64 build 3211.

Thanks.

Try viewtopic.php?f=2&t=928&p=4615#p4615615

Hi,

When you load the module the interface isn't configured. You need to manually configure it!

See some Linux Ubuntu HowTo about configure an USB external NIC.

TN.

I looked at a number of web pages but they seem to want you to run lsusb or edit /etc/network/interfaces, neither of which exist on the DSM. On the other hand, I did learn that I should run "ifconfig -a" to see all interfaces and the USB NIC does show up there.

I will keep looking.

unmesh, i had the same issue and solved it.

Just follow my post.

That worked great for manual config!

Did you have any success with the instructions to make the config persistent through reboots? This version of Linux does not seem to have the /etc/networking/ and /etc/init.d/ directories. I'm also wondering how the two insmod commands will get executed through the reboot.

Also, after creating the networking interface through the shell, Control Panel -> Networking through the Web GUI errors out. Turning the interface off restores the GUI functionality.

Thanks.

Did you have any success with the instructions to make the config persistent through reboots? This version of Linux does not seem to have the /etc/networking/ and /etc/init.d/ directories. I'm also wondering how the two insmod commands will get executed through the reboot.

Also, after creating the networking interface through the shell, Control Panel -> Networking through the Web GUI errors out. Turning the interface off restores the GUI functionality.

Thanks.

1). In order to solve eth1 (eth0 is presumed to be your existing, native card on the MB) config lost after reboot try by editing /etc/rc.local and by adding at the end of it the following statements:

# USB Network setup
insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.ko
insmod /lib/modules/ax88179_178a.ko
ip address add 192.168.1.11/24 brd + dev eth1
ifconfig eth1 up

2). I also get The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry. (221) error when trying to open Control Panel / Networking in the DSM. I guess this is one reason the real Synology box is so expensive. Support is included! :smile:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello! I'm newbie to xpenology and linux. I would be very grateful if anyone could post a compiled module for asix ax88179 for 5.2 version. I use ds3615xs on Intel x64. The module from this post doesn't work for it, as i understand this is because of new kernel version in 5.2 - 3.10.35 (may be i'm wrong). Here is the drivers from asix: http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op= ... 131;71;112