XPEnology Community

Hi. I got my hands on an Intel Nuc NUC7PJYH with j5005 cpu, 4gb and a large Nas ssd.

I would like to know which would be the best bootloader version and dsm version for it and, if possible, a way to enable hardware transcoding in Plex (free version). I have been checking some older threads but I got a bit confused.

Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, Stargate said:

I would like to know which would be the best bootloader version and dsm version for it and, if possible, a way to enable hardware transcoding in Plex (free version). I have been checking some older threads but I got a bit confused.

Hardware transcoding is a premium feature and you have to get Plex Pass go get it working.

Hardware transcoding works on 918+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I intend to go for loader 1.04b and dsm 6.2.3 or newest release available. I just wanted to know if anyone has the same device and could guide on the best choice.

As for hw transcoding in plex, I am not planning on paying Plex Pass for now since my tv's are relatively new and would manage most of recent codecs, so I'll skip Pass. I just wanted to know if free hw transcoding was possible in case I would need it. But if I happen to need it, I guess CPU transcoding would do.

1 hour ago, Stargate said:

As for hw transcoding in plex, I am not planning on paying Plex Pass for now since my tv's are relatively new and would manage most of recent codecs, so I'll skip Pass. I just wanted to know if free hw transcoding was possible in case I would need it. But if I happen to need it, I guess CPU transcoding would do.

I played around with Plex a few months ago and neither my TV (WebOS 2) nor several AndroidTV boxes could play movies with embedded subtitles. I always got the message that Plex would need to transcode them, meaning I would have to pay for Plex Pass. 

If you depend on subtitles and don't want to pay, take a look at Jellyfin which is a free Plex fork. 

36 minutes ago, Noter2017 said:

I played around with Plex a few months ago and neither my TV (WebOS 2) nor several AndroidTV boxes could play movies with embedded subtitles. I always got the message that Plex would need to transcode them, meaning I would have to pay for Plex Pass. 

If you depend on subtitles and don't want to pay, take a look at Jellyfin which is a free Plex fork. 

I don't know how old your devices are, but WebOs 2 sound pretty old (8+ years???). I have been using (free) Plex with no problem in subtitles and video and audio. My Fire Tv stick and my Lg Web OS 4.5 could manage subtitles perfectly. With my Web OS 4.5 LG tv transcoding worked line a charm with avi video files and dts audio. As for the fire tv stick, transcoding h265 files (1.5gb) work fairly well. I have replaced my old tv and fire tv with a brand new lg web os 5.0 and everything works fine too.

A little remark. When I say that transcoding worked fine, I mean Cpu transcoding, not GPU transcoding.

Edited by Stargate

1 hour ago, Stargate said:

By the way, I don't know if it's a stupid question. Is it possible to install Xpenology on an SSD? I have a 4tb ssd which I plan to use a main and only drive.

DSM is installed on all drives by default & cannot be changed.

5 hours ago, Dfds said:

DSM is installed on all drives by default & cannot be changed.

I already suspected that it Dsm cannot be relocated to another drive once it is install. In order to do it I guess a fresh install would be required, right?

I meant if there is any problem to do a fresh install on an ssd. This would be the drive Seagate Ironwolf 3.84tb Nas Ssd https://www.seagate.com/as/en/internal-hard-drives/ssd/ironwolf-nas-ssd/

1 hour ago, flyride said:

If the question is: "can you use an SSD as a regular disk for XPe/DSM" the answer is yes if it is a SATA SSD.  NVMe SSD's cannot easily be used as DSM really only supports them for cache.

How can I know if it is a regular Sata SSD disk or a NVMe SSD? The drive I intend to use a main and only disk is Seagate Ironwolf 3.84tb Red Nas Ssd https://www.seagate.com/as/en/internal-hard-drives/ssd/ironwolf-nas-ssd/

How can I know if it is a regular Sata SSD disk or a NVMe SSD? Any feature in the specs I should pay attention to?

Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Stargate said:

How can I know if it is a regular Sata SSD disk or a NVMe SSD? Any feature in the specs I should pay attention to?

like this

https://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd&xf=4832_4

and then take the exact product code, but there only seem to be max 2TB for sata

one a other way is to use a (mechanical) adapter to get the sata connector from the m.2

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-NGFF-Adapter-Power-Cable/dp/B01FE8NKC2/

or use a m.2 card with pcie connected sata chip like asm1061 or similar

and use a normal sata 2.5" ssd

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

like this

https://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd&xf=4832_4

and then take the exact product code, but there only seem to be max 2TB for sata

one a other way is to use a (mechanical) adapter to get the sata connector from the m.2

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-NGFF-Adapter-Power-Cable/dp/B01FE8NKC2/

or use a m.2 card with pcie connected sata chip like asm1061 or similar

and use a normal sata 2.5" ssd

My ssd drive has got a sata conector with a specified maximum speed of 6Gb/s. Can I assume it has nothing to do with NVMe?

50 minutes ago, Stargate said:

My ssd drive has got a sata conector with a specified maximum speed of 6Gb/s.

thats just normal SATA3

51 minutes ago, Stargate said:

Can I assume it has nothing to do with NVMe?

no nvme is pcie and if you bring that into connectot for hdd's its called U.2

the m.2 slot can have more types of connections usable for devices then just pcie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

if you have a sata ssd and m.2 with m or b+m key then there might be sata on the connector too and you could get it to a normal sata connector by a adapter (link above)

or you use the pcie to to do the same as with a normal pcie slot and a sata controller, the sata controller is just smaller and more fragile

the small housing and the power supply can be a problem as you not just need a m.2 card with a sata connector on it you also need sata cable, power cable and room for a 2nd disk and all that without blocking the airflow to much

usually you think about the system design before you buy one, having just one hdd aka no redundancy is not suggested but if you have 2nd nuc and mirror you data in (more or less) realtime then you might be ok with just one disk, might be a better solution then going to far out of the systems intended design

3 hours ago, Stargate said:

Yes, it will say SATA or NVMe. This discussion is starting to go sideways.  Let's backtrack.

Your NUC has the ability to connect to a single SATA drive with a SATA interface.  It does not have an M.2 slot (required for an SSD on a card).  M.2 slots can support either NVMe or SATA SSD's depending upon the chipset and motherboard capabilities.  Again, you don't have one.  So you cannot use an adapter either.

So the discussion of NVMe drives is academic. You cannot use one with your NUC in any case.

The Ironwolf page you linked has both SATA SSD and NVMe drives listed on the page.  You need to be sure to buy the correct one.  The 2.5" form factor models will work.  The M.2 2280 card slot model will not work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

thats just normal SATA3

no nvme is pcie and if you bring that into connectot for hdd's its called U.2

the m.2 slot can have more types of connections usable for devices then just pcie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

if you have a sata ssd and m.2 with m or b+m key then there might be sata on the connector too and you could get it to a normal sata connector by a adapter (link above)

or you use the pcie to to do the same as with a normal pcie slot and a sata controller, the sata controller is just smaller and more fragile

the small housing and the power supply can be a problem as you not just need a m.2 card with a sata connector on it you also need sata cable, power cable and room for a 2nd disk and all that without blocking the airflow to much

usually you think about the system design before you buy one, having just one hdd aka no redundancy is not suggested but if you have 2nd nuc and mirror you data in (more or less) realtime then you might be ok with just one disk, might be a better solution then going to far out of the systems intended design

Thank you very much. The link was an interesting reading. My ssd states Sata, but somehow I got confused and thought it wouldn't be compatible.

10 hours ago, flyride said:

Yes, it will say SATA or NVMe. This discussion is starting to go sideways.  Let's backtrack.

Your NUC has the ability to connect to a single SATA drive with a SATA interface.  It does not have an M.2 slot (required for an SSD on a card).  M.2 slots can support either NVMe or SATA SSD's depending upon the chipset and motherboard capabilities.  Again, you don't have one.  So you cannot use an adapter either.

So the discussion of NVMe drives is academic. You cannot use one with your NUC in any case.

The Ironwolf page you linked has both SATA SSD and NVMe drives listed on the page.  You need to be sure to buy the correct one.  The 2.5" form factor models will work.  The M.2 2280 card slot model will not work.

Thanks. I was aware of the different connectors, but somehow I got confused and mistook there was a nwme which was the same as sata. 

The page I linked contains an nvme, which I didn't notice. Mine was the sata ssd.

Thanks everyone for your help.