XPEnology Community

Asrock H110TM-ITX, PROBLEM with only 2x Sata and TP-LINK UE330 usb Ethernet adapter

Manager21

Hello 

Im new here, sorry for my english, last month i have read many posts but i need some guidance

I own a mb Asrock H110TM-ITX with cpu i5-7400T, 3x 8TB Seagate Exos Enterprise and 2x TP-LINK UE330 USB 3.0 3-PORT HUB & GIGABIT ETHERNET ADAPTER ( Chipset: RTL8153)

I have already try to install DS918+ with 1.04b and  6.2.2 and worked. but i dont know what are the correct drivers. 

The usb ethernet appears as a usb device but not as a network adapter even if i tried add the MAC address on the grub.cfg as mac2 and mac3

The other problem is that the mb has only 2 sata 😭 is there any other stable solution to add more HDDs with sata  6gbs, im thinking buy a M.2 to Sata like this M.2 adapter , will it work?

Thank you for the help

17 hours ago, Manager21 said:

I have already try to install DS918+ with 1.04b and  6.2.2 and worked. but i dont know what are the correct drivers. 

6.2.2 is a terrible choice as its drivers are incompatible to the initial 6.2(.0) and the last working 6.2.3

i guess i did miss the part where i wrote about the 2 nic limit in 1.04b 918+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

"...

!!! still network limit in 1.04b loader for 918+ !!!

atm 918+ has a limit of 2 nic's (as the original hardware)
If there are more than 2 nic's present and you can't find your system in network then you will have to try after boot witch nic is "active" (not necessarily the onboard) or remove additional nic's and look for this after installation
You can change the synoinfo.conf after install to support more then 2 nic's (with 3615/17 it was 8  and keep in mind when doing a major update it will  be reset to 2 and you will have manually change this again, same as when you change for more disk as there are in jun's default setting) - more info's are already in the old thread about 918+ DSM 6.2.(0) and here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

..."

17 hours ago, Manager21 said:

The other problem is that the mb has only 2 sata 😭 is there any other stable solution to add more HDDs with sata  6gbs, im thinking buy a M.2 to Sata like this M.2 adapter , will it work?

the one i tested did not work stable even when equipped with a heat sink, also its very finicky when it comes to the mechanical side, needs support from below or you break the card (its extremely thin, you cant just plugin in cables with the card installed or you will break it) and with the force sata cables employing on the card it needs a good cable support taking off force as much as possible)

beside this i don't thing the card would fit in the place the mini-itx board can offer

i wrote about the m.2 card and some other cards here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35882-new-sataahci-cards-with-more-then-4-ports-and-no-sata-multiplexer/

i also tested two m.2 to pcie 4x adapter, only the one with the shorter cable seemed to work properly and there also was a lot of strain to the m.2 slot, not so sure if i would use that in a system with real data

whats wrong with the pcie 4x slot you have?, a pcie card with a jmb585 would be ok

you could even us bigger 8x cards as the slot has a open end

whats with the four 1GBit nic's? there a usb3 5GBit nic's too and best might be just using a 10G nic

i haven't seen 10g nic's for m.2 but there are at least 2xRJ45 1G nic's

https://www.delock.de/produkte/S_63425/merkmale.html

https://www.delock.de/produkte/S_62754/merkmale.html

the whole system design seems off, would be much easier to replace the board with a mATX one having 6xsata and more pcie slots, would make a more stable system with a more predictable performance

thank you so much for your time to answer, i really appreciate! 

i have read many of your posts!

18 hours ago, IG-88 said:

whats wrong with the pcie 4x slot you have?, a pcie card with a jmb585 would be ok

you could even us bigger 8x cards as the slot has a open end

Sorry it was my mistake because my mb is H110TM-ITX R2.0 version and doesnt  have any pcie only 2x M.2 slots

1 x M.2 Socket (Key E), supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module

1 x M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module*

*M2_2: RST utility port0; SATA3_0: RST utility port2; SATA3_1: RST utility port3

if i use this mb what is the best version to give a try 6.2.3?

Can i add more sata ? or stay with Raid 1 with 2 of my 3x 8TB disks

I already consider your suggestion to buy another motherboard because of the cost of the M.2 adapter to sata ports  but then i have to buy also DDR4 Ram, and i will have to buy also a CPU for  the new mb. i ll have to spend at least 350 € for new MB, CPU,RAM, and PC case, is it worth it or buy a new Synology?

My other option was my old pc with Phenom II 955, DDR3 8GB, mb with 6x 6Gb/s but i have to fix the bios chip 😭 because crashed on my effort to install xpenology, only 5.2 was working fine.

Sorry of all these questions but im really confused and desperate and thank you again!

18 hours ago, IG-88 said:

Edited by Manager21

7 hours ago, Manager21 said:

I already consider your suggestion to buy another motherboard because of the cost of the M.2 adapter to sata ports  but then i have to buy also DDR4 Ram, and i will have to buy also a CPU for  the new mb. i ll have to spend at least 350 € for new MB, CPU,RAM, and PC case, is it worth it or buy a new Synology?

i was more thinking of buying a used board like from ebay or a company selling used hardware

when looking for using a pcie card that is a possible solution (one of the adapters with a 25cm cable

https://www.amazon.com/ADT-Link-Riser-Gen3-0-PCI-Express-Extension/dp/B07Z4QR598/

the flex cable gives some freedom to place the card in the housing, there are m.2 adapters with a pcie 4x slot soldered to it but they will give you some headaches about mechanical problems (space the pcie card takes and stability of the thin board)

8 hours ago, Manager21 said:

1 x M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module*

*M2_2: RST utility port0; SATA3_0: RST utility port2; SATA3_1: RST utility port3

sounds like the only map the sata port to m.2 when using sata on m.2, so no 3rd port over the sata connection of m.2

if i use this mb what is the best version to give a try 6.2.3?

918+ as it could use hardware transcoding of the igpu

Can i add more sata ? or stay with Raid 1 with 2 of my 3x 8TB disks

either by a m.2 card with 2 or 4 ports (the 5port did not work for me so i'm sceptical to use that one)

a less head producing chip like asm1061 or a marvell might be ok on a m.2 board

i cant remember having seen a m.2  e key sata card so best chance is to look for a card for the normal m.2 slot