XPEnology Community

HP GEN8 DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 failed

phinemaria

On 4/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, phinemaria said:

OMV wants to install and partition the HDDs. Surely this can not be right?

the intention here is to have a running omv installation on a media (can be a separate disk, or a usb flash drive), add the dsm disks and boot that omv up

as tested over 2 years ago it still works that way

dsm usb boot drive and the dsm disks disconnected

installed the recent omv5 (usul, kernel 5.x) to a usb (had one usb containing the iso transferred with rufus and a 2nd as destination), using a ssd or even hdd might be much faster but the usb is easier to handle and cheaper (updating took ages, i guess the iops of the usb is just to low, so if it has to be fast to setup choose a sata disk)

after finishing the omv installation, updating it (all pretty much standard as omv's own resources suggest it) and testing it by login into the web gui i shut it down, connected the dsm disks and booted, omv web gui showed the raid5 data volume i had created for testing and i was able to mount it, with the smb/cifs share of omv i was able to access the data over network, successful fallback test for dsm - btrfs is nor problem with omv it just works

after shutting it down i booted with the dsm boot driver and dsm came up again and there are no complains about the raid5 either in dsm or in omv

image.png.6a22b1734b5e661beb25e68d9b7cdaed.png

to complete the test i created a SHR1 with 2x500GB and 1x128GB, resulting in a raid5 and a raid 1 "glued together" by lvm

omv recognized the raids and volumes and showed a mountable volume (the shr1 volume)

only smaller problem was that dsm created a label containing a space and omv complained about that and did not mount it

seems to be a problem with a debian package the are using and as long as its not fixed upstream in debian its not going to workj in omv

but when looking at the label its nothing specific, just a date and time and version number to make it unique

i renamed the label, kept the date and time and removed the version number that was separated by the space (but any label will do)

btrfs filesystem label /dev/mapper/vg1-volume_1 2021.04.10-14:32:17

after that i was able to mount the shr1 volume with the web gui and use it the normal way

after shutting down omv i reconnected the dsm usb drive and booted dsm again, no problems with the SHR1 volume

so omv is still a easy to handle fallback when dsm craps out, SHR or btrfs is no problem (same as tested over 2 years ago)

i will keep the ready to boot usb with osm for testing, its nice to have (same as the system rescuecd usb boot media)

image.thumb.png.6aeb83b9e0a6f2d431709c0cf063b0ed.png

image.thumb.png.53a3d3319ec5d72905b0891b1ce12a91.png

Edited by IG-88

if you have omv up and running you can also do the same as with a recovery linux, you can login by ssh in background, mount the dsm system's raid1 volume and check if it was a 6.2.4 update - only difference is you have more time as you already have a nas running to access your files (you still need to mount the file system and crate a smb/cifs share but thats pretty self explanatory in omv)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42765-how-to-undo-a-unfinished-update-623-to-624-no-boot-after-1st-step-of-update/

you would just look for the update files and check the two "VERSION" files

its also possible to have a look to the files on the 2nd partition of the loader, the file size of rd.gz and zImage should make it possible to determine the dsm version an the loader (and its also possible to extract the rd.gz and check the VERSION file in there)

i have tried everything but i can't get it to mount the RAID 5 to do the steps below.

I modified the USB stick, after that it finds the DSM with the assistant, but I can not reinstall with the 25246.pat file. 

How do I manage to delete the data from the RAID5?

mount the assembled raid1 to /mnt with this

mount /dev/md0 /mnt

then remove some files with this

rm -rf /mnt/SynoUpgradePackages

rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgrade.tar

rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeindex.txz

rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeSynohdpackImg.txz

rm -f /mnt/checksum.syno

rm -f /mnt/.syno/patch/*

also check the files containing the DSM Version

cat /etc/VERSION cat /etc.defaults/VERSION

Edited by phinemaria

12 hours ago, phinemaria said:

But I don`t understand what is to do now?

if you look at my screenshots (they where intended to give a little guidance, 3rd picture) there is filesystem and there should be your btrfs you can mount

with omv you usually dont do things on the command line, its intended to be used in the web gui

after mounting it you can create a share under smb/cifs and acceess it the way you most likely do (there is also nfs and something for apple, OMV has online help and even a 161 pages documentation, openmediavault-readthedocs-io-en-stable.pdf)

5 hours ago, phinemaria said:

I modified the USB stick, after that it finds the DSM with the assistant, but I can not reinstall with the 25246.pat file. 

also check the files containing the DSM Version

cat /etc/VERSION cat /etc.defaults/VERSION

AAAAND? what was the result, maybe it was not both 6.2.3?

when starting the loader it will check the version of the kernel files on the loader (zImage and rd.gz - so they need to be from dsm 6.2.3) and it will check VERSION on disk

in the how to thread for downgrading 6.2.4 a user commented he just deleted the VERSION files (both) and was able to reinstall 6.2.3

i guess you can try that too if you where able to mount the system partition

How do I manage to delete the data from the RAID5?

why do you want to do this? thats, your data (raid5) seems to be ok, your problem with not starting is about the system partition (1st partiton on every drive as raid1)

but if you insist, "raid verwaltung", click on the raid5 and click "löschen", that should delete your raid5

Edited by IG-88