XPEnology Community

DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4

martva

Updated last night to update 4 via web, reboot, no issues. This morning I had a message from security advisor as mentioned by someone above:

DANGER: Security treats were detected that need your attention

When I click for more details:

MALWARE: DSM system files have been unintentionally modified

Updated last night to update 4 via web, reboot, no issues. This morning I had a message from security advisor as mentioned by someone above:

I can confirm that I see this scenario on my box as well. This message should NOT appear on XPEnology installs; while we do modify system files we also patch away the detections for them. I have contacted Vortex regarding this but am still waiting on a response. I have not run into any time-bomb issues yet.\

Update: After a discussion with Vortex we have found that the Security Algorithm has been changed in 5592 Update 4 which has caused some patched system files to be detected again. We will not be fixing these detections until the next major release. The time-bomb (volume unmounting) associated with these detections is still patched away and should not be a problem.

So just to reiterate; 5592 Update 4 is safe to install.

hello i have an HP n54l with XPEnoboot 5.2-5565.2

with DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2..

every time i boot, it gets me to the DSM UPDATE screen because there is the new update (5.2-5592 Update 3 and now 5.2-5592 Update 4)

although i have disable the task manager to search for updates..

which is the right way to update from DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2 to 5.2-5592 Update 4?

through Control panel > Update & restore > DSM update?

Manual DSM update? Update now button? some other method?

also every time i boot the server, the Windows File Service & Mac File Service are disabled and i every time i need to go to Control Panel > Info Center > Services to re unable them.. is this a well known bug?

Perform these steps -> viewtopic.php?p=42163#p42163

That will get you to update 2. Then manually install updates 3&4. (You will need to reboot twice after update 3).

Also update 3 will reset your DLNA folder locations if you've got any media content so these need to be reconfigured in VideoStation/MediaStation and reindex media.

thanks!

but i already have DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2...

or the above steps for the update 2, goes to update the XPEnoboot?

right now i boot from XPEnoboot 5.2-5565.2-d6e5157.

For my particular upgrade from Update 3 to 4, I had no issue at all and did not even need to reboot to get my volumes remounted. However, for upgrades in general, I noticed that if you reboot and select migrate/upgrade right when Xpenoboot begins, and then run the Update patch from within DSM, the update seems to install much smoother without any issue. When running the patch in a standard boot, I notice a system hang and then require a hard reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

@j3390659

I actually was able to update to Update 4 directly from Update 2. All required is another restart after the upgrade wizard reboots (anomaly found on volume error). Not sure if you are on Update 2 or not, but when I upgraded to 5.2-5592 this summer I think I went directly to Update 2...

• 2 weeks later...