XPEnology Community

how to undo a unfinished update 6.2.3 to 6.2.4 (no boot after 1st step of update)

IG-88

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i tried this method on my 1.Box (HPE Microserver Gen8) and it works perfectly..
Thanks..

But at my "Spare"-Box (HPE Microserver Gen10) with Broadcomm Raid Controller it won't work..
I get no access to the Raid Array, surely lack of any driver for this..

Is there a solution to get this driver working (Insmod modprobe?) to geht access to the Disk-Array ??

I was trying it with Rescue Disk 6.0.4. ..

Thank you

Edited by Big_11

Did that downgrade two months ago.... 

Server works (ds3615xs v 6.2.3 ) but now I can not update to U3! (previously it was updated to U3) 

When I choose manual update with U3.pat (bromlow or something) file...it says "file is corrupt"..... 

Will try tnx... 

But....that opens another row of question(s)... 

Been using Linux on my laptop for 2yrs now....so I operate with terminal quite often. I do understand that these are terminal commands etc.... 

So how do I proceed here? I have to enable SSH on my xpenology....and connect on it trough my Linux laptop? 

Or do I have to make a rescue usb disk (like Redo rescue) and open its terminal in it when it boots? 

2 hours ago, flyride said:

Read trough your guide.....

Last 9th. step....

9. Now verify the install. The important part is the first -rwx which indicates FixSynoboot.sh can be executed.

# ls -la /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

.....didnt come back as "-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2184 May18 17:54 FixSynoboot.sh"

I am still unable to proceed with update....file is still "corrupted" and I still see USB loader as an external USB device connected to my xpenology

and its content in file station is seen as

usbshare 1-1 (I think that is its 1st 15Mb partition)

usbshare 1-2 (2nd 30Mb partition)

......?

Edited by Kamele0N

On 6/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, flyride said:

Then something has been done incorrectly, it has to be fixed.

Does this part refers to "virtual" ESXi systems installs?

Fix: However, if Jun's script is re-run after the system is fully started, everything is as it should be. So extracting the script from the loader, and adding it to post-boot actions appears to be a solution to this problem:

Download the attached FixSynoboot.sh script (if you cannot see it attached to this post, be sure you are logged in)

Copy the file to /usr/local/etc/rc.d

chmod 0755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

Thus, Jun's own code will re-run after the initial boot after whatever system initialization parameters that break the first run of the script no longer apply. This solution works with either 1.03b or 1.04b and is simple to install. This should be considered required for a virtual system running 6.2.3, and it won't hurt anything if installed or ported to another environment.

1 minute ago, Kamele0N said:

Does this part refers to "virtual" ESXi systems installs?

No, this can apply to any install.  You've tried to install a script, and reported that the install did not pass the simple check at the end of the procedure.  Therefore something went wrong with your procedure.  You didn't post anything to provide feedback on so the only advice I can give is to go back and check your procedure.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:27 AM, Kamele0N said:

9. Now verify the install. The important part is the first -rwx which indicates FixSynoboot.sh can be executed.

# ls -la /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

If that doesn't come back with the expected text, why don't you share what it does display so we can diagnose it?

9 minutes ago, flyride said:

If that doesn't come back with the expected text, why don't you share what it does display so we can diagnose it?

Honestly..... :)

1st) because nothing was displayed at the end in my terminal...not a single terminal input displayed anything afterwards....they were just "exsecuted" with no feedback!

2nd) because I am not (yet) that "terminal saavy" to share/look into guts of a linux system/kernel/etc...

2 hours ago, Kamele0N said:

Honestly..... :)

1st) because nothing was displayed at the end in my terminal...not a single terminal input displayed anything afterwards....they were just "exsecuted" with no feedback!

2nd) because I am not (yet) that "terminal saavy" to share/look into guts of a linux system/kernel/etc...

This post (which you followed) shows exactly when there should be output and nothing when there should not be.

If you type a command that indicates output, and there is none, there is something incorrect happening.

I'm not sure how to make it any more clear as the post was designed for those exactly in your situation.

If you want assistance, please provide some sort of feedback or status to help you, other than "it doesn't work."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyride said:

If you want assistance......

Server fixed and updated to U3 🙆‍♂️

The culprit.....when you give instructions like:

$ ls /volume1/folder/FixSynoboot.sh

Not every Linux sytem needs $ sign in front of a terminal command

or......

# chmod 0755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/FixSynoboot.sh

just please dont put # or whatever in front of a command intended to be copy pasted into a terminal. It is confusing to us "Junior members" :D

And yes, nevertheless thanks for your support! 👍

Edited by Kamele0N

Noted, and disagreed.

Since it specifically describes the function of non-privileged mode (denoted by "$") and privileged/root mode (denoted by "#") I believe that the tutorial is sufficiently descriptive with regard to Linux prompts.

It does require the individual on the other end to take the time to interpret and understand, as hacking Synology is an inherently technically advanced activity.  As is typical, those who are inclined do in fact figure things out over time, which you were able to do.  So all is well.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 7:15 AM, flyride said:

Thanks for this fix and the step-by-step guide. It worked for me!

I could not update from 6.2.3 to 6.2.3 Update 3.

My boot USB was showing in External Devices, which was confirmation that I needed your fix.

Edited by gingerbeardman

• 3 months later...

If you happen to be trying to do this now using a recent version of system rescue cd. The Update files are all marked as hidden, you will only be able to see them with ls -a and more importantly deleting them requires a slightly different command

rm -rf /mnt/SynoUpgradePackages
becomes 
rm -rf /mnt/.SynoUpgradePackages

they all get little dots. no idea why this is but hopefully i can save someone the half an hour it took me to figure out where the hell they were hiding.

• Like 1