XPEnology Community

HP Microserver DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 failed

sandisxxx

Hello, I have reported this in the Updates reporting section as well, if this is against the rules - please delete my post.

If there is someone that can help - will be much appreciated.

Outcome of the update:  UNSUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

- Loader version and model: Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615XS

- Using custom extra.lzma: No

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP ProLiant MicroServer GEN8

Here are some of my details - please advice if you can:

After applying this update, the system rebooted and it boots into synoboot, like normal.

However the system is not visible in the network (checked also my DHCP if it got a different IP address by chance).

I have tried to create a new USB from scratch.

I used the same serial number in the grub.conf file.

The system boots up, gets it's IP address from DHCP based on Reservation.

Synology assistant can see the device, but the only option is to Recover it.

Pressing recover reboots the machine and it is basically in the same state as before.

There is no way how to use a different pat file.

I have left all disks in the device.

I have 3 disks, which each has it's own volume and shares on it.

The first disk is used as the Synology primary disk, so I guess the configuration is located on the first disk.

Also the first disk contains my Docker image.

I have found a .dss backup file from July 2020, that could be perhaps used.

Does anyone have an idea what to try to make the system back?

Maybe disconnect the disks to try to make the DSM up again and then reconnect them and upload the .dss file with configuration?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My guess here is that they removed the drivers for the Onboard NICs, as I see members that have the same system but with Intel NIC and no problem.

So maybe also applying the extras.lzma would make sense?

17 minutes ago, djvas335 said:

There is something else wrong with your system, mine is running with no issues under standard loader and onboard nics, no need for extra.lzma

Well there is another user having the same issue. Question is, what was wrong and more importantly, how to recover from the state?

4 hours ago, sandisxxx said:

Does anyone have an idea what to try to make the system back?

there are some options

btw. if redoing the usb loader the one thing thats needs to be right is the usb vid/pid, sn and mac's can be changed later

the description sounds more like you updated to 6.2.4

one thing if its a amd microserver - check the the C1E function in the bios (needs to be disabled) maybe it was reset at some point (cmos battery empty and disconnect from power can do that)

can you boot a rescue linux (like system rescuecd) form usb and mount the system partition?

i wrote a small howto on how to remove the unfinished update

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41473-dsm-624-25554-install-experience/?do=findComment&comment=195970

you would check if there are update files and directory present and check the content of the VERSION files in /etc and /etc.defaults

if there are no update files and the VERSION files show 6.2.3 u3 then its would be kind of odd as hp microservers have no problems like this when updating from 6.2.3 u2 to u3

you would be able to reset the version files to the state of 6.2.3 (without update), put the 6.2.3 kernel files (zImage and rd.gz) on the loader and then "migrate" to 6.2.3 without update - the VERSION file to compare with and the kernel files are in the "DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat" (just open the *.pat file with zip and all 3 files should be visible)

there are other methods like installing fresh (6.2.3) to a single empty disk and then "adding" the old disks to that (there is a tutorial for downgrading like this) but its not to best choice as  it would reset dsm so you would loose user and shares, plugins would be needed to reinstall and docker would be also needed to reconfigured - that method does not need much special skills or tools, mostly the basics already known to setup a new usb and install dsm

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

• Like 1

I use the XP with HP Gen8 since two year. Every Update since before was running. Now Update 2 was installed and in the settings was the sing, that Update 3 is to install.

After the download and the installation, the server was lost.

Today I will make a new USB and start again. Hope that I can start recovery. And I will look the BIOS an C1E funktion. But the vip(pid is the same since two years. That cannot be the reason or any other ideas?

Thxs.

Axel.

19 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there are some options

btw. if redoing the usb loader the one thing thats needs to be right is the usb vid/pid, sn and mac's can be changed later

the description sounds more like you updated to 6.2.4

one thing if its a amd microserver - check the the C1E function in the bios (needs to be disabled) maybe it was reset at some point (cmos battery empty and disconnect from power can do that)

can you boot a rescue linux (like system rescuecd) form usb and mount the system partition?

i wrote a small howto on how to remove the unfinished update

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41473-dsm-624-25554-install-experience/?do=findComment&comment=195970

you would check if there are update files and directory present and check the content of the VERSION files in /etc and /etc.defaults

if there are no update files and the VERSION files show 6.2.3 u3 then its would be kind of odd as hp microservers have no problems like this when updating from 6.2.3 u2 to u3

you would be able to reset the version files to the state of 6.2.3 (without update), put the 6.2.3 kernel files (zImage and rd.gz) on the loader and then "migrate" to 6.2.3 without update - the VERSION file to compare with and the kernel files are in the "DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat" (just open the *.pat file with zip and all 3 files should be visible)

there are other methods like installing fresh (6.2.3) to a single empty disk and then "adding" the old disks to that (there is a tutorial for downgrading like this) but its not to best choice as  it would reset dsm so you would loose user and shares, plugins would be needed to reinstall and docker would be also needed to reconfigured - that method does not need much special skills or tools, mostly the basics already known to setup a new usb and install dsm

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

Thanks for the valuable input, I will boot into a linux distro to check. Actually I am not really sure if I applied update 3 or 6.2.4. I will also check the C1e (but this is unlikely). I will read the article and come back. I still have the original USB though - would that help in any way? Is there a way how to tell what update I actually applied using the Linux bootable distro?

Edited by sandisxxx

12 minutes ago, sandisxxx said:

I still have the original USB though - would that help in any way?

in ther process of the update the kernel is written to the usb and on next boot it starts with the new kernel - and in case of 6.2.4 it stops there as it cant boot anymore

you could post the rd.gz or extract it yourself (7zip, 1st extract the rd.gz, i gnore warnings, go into the directory created and extract the file "rd", that results in a directory rd~ that contains the files, in /etc you will find the file VERSION and that tells you what the update was)

Edited by IG-88

I am still restoring my Hyper Backup because my backup is on the external HDD. Unfortunately it is created with ext4 and with Windows I have no chance. Under Ubuntu I can't manage to restore the *.hbk file, so now I copy the *.hbk file to a NTFS HDD to have the backup. There is unfortunately my original synboot.img to create a clean USB stick. Do I have a chance then with the restore with Synology Assistant to get my system up and running. With the version 6.2.3 U2???
My family is already annoyed because nothing works. 

I have C1E turned off on the HP Gen8. I am a bit at a loss.

Thanks

Axel.

3 minutes ago, phinemaria said:

I am still restoring my Hyper Backup because my backup is on the external HDD. Unfortunately it is created with ext4 and with Windows I have no chance. Under Ubuntu I can't manage to restore the *.hbk file, so now I copy the *.hbk file to a NTFS HDD to have the backup. There is unfortunately my original synboot.img to create a clean USB stick. Do I have a chance then with the restore with Synology Assistant to get my system up and running. With the version 6.2.3 U2???
My family is already annoyed because nothing works. 

I have C1E turned off on the HP Gen8. I am a bit at a loss.

Thanks

Axel.

Axel, I am following the advice by IG-88 now, you need some experience there, but it is followable. IG-88 is communicating with me and really does extreme good job. I will report how it all ended up with some details, that could help you as well. But there are some things you need to do, like create a linux USB etc etc, which you should be able to find elsewhere, how to do that. By the way in my case I have updated to 6.2.4 which does crash on the HP Micro Gen8 apparently, so the process basically is to revert to 6.2.3...

Edited by sandisxxx

13 hours ago, phinemaria said:

Today I will make a new USB and start again. Hope that I can start recovery. And I will look the BIOS an C1E funktion. But the vip(pid is the same since two years. That cannot be the reason or any other ideas?

i'd suggest booting a rescue linux and check if it was a update of 6.2.4

i opened a new thread in the tutorial section

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42765-how-to-undo-a-unfinished-update-623-to-624-no-boot-after-1st-step-of-update/

if its unclear if it was a update you don't start deleteing anything instead you check if update files are present

its also good the check the content of /etc/VERSION and /etc.defaults/VERSION, it should not have 6.2.4 in it

also a indicator for 6.2.4 update would be the content of the 2nd partition,zImage and rd.gz are renewed (look for file date)

• Like 1

My DSM is back in the original state. I cannot express my thanks to IG-88 for his incredible advice. @phinemariatry to follow IG-88's reply here and you should be fine.

In case you struggle I will try to help you as IG-88 helped me.

Just PM me here and I will help you.

Many MANY thanks to IG-88 for his knowledge and willingness.

You do not see too many people like him nowadays.

Cheers.

Edited by sandisxxx
  • Like 2