XPEnology Community

How to make a file or folder share link

PincoPalla

Hello everyone, I have already made a post on this topic but I have not received answers, I try again because I need it enough; I need to be able to share files and / or folders through sharing links. With Synology you do it from File Station, you create a link that you then send via email or other to whoever needs to use it. However, the thing is linked to the quick connect account which obviously cannot be used so for now I find myself triangulating it through a google drive account that I synchronize through Cloud sync (the sharing link is always the same but the files change at inside of the shared folder), so the question is this, how can it be done ??? Is there a file management program on Docker that can do this service for me ??? I wouldn't want to keep triangulating it takes a lot of time and resources. I hope I expressed myself correctly, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for the answer even if it seems a bit skimpy and sterile as an answer; DDNS are set for what you can do, I set 2 (no-ip and duckdns, also because I need them for the mail server etc. etc.) so I can't understand what you mean. But you did it ??? they work like on a synology right ??? otherwise they are answers that leave the time they find (indeed they waste time, I mean !!). Thank you

DDNS is not tied to one service or another.  You don't need more than one.  When you set up a DDNS, the public name that you choose then is dynamically updated to point to your real (temporary) IP.  When your real IP changes, the reference is updated by DDNS.

That lets someone outside your network find your outside IP.  You still need to make that IP available to specific services, meaning you will need to open port forwarding allowing remote file access:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/Configure_file_sharing_links

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/share_File_Station_files_without_DSM_account

Since opening ports like this is a serious security risk, an alternate is to host a VPN server in DSM and allow them to connect that way - also using the DDNS address to find your VPN termination point.

Hi Flyride, thanks, now I think I've got there (I still have to do the test from WAN but I think it works), I was wrong in this panel, as hostname I put the name I gave to the machine, instead if I put the DDNS I registered it seems to work. You saved me ...😀😀 from a lot of extra work. I thank you so much

1.thumb.png.fdc6063ae45239537416f1b0c041bf02.png

Edited by PincoPalla

On 4/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, PincoPalla said:

Hello, thanks for the answer even if it seems a bit skimpy and sterile as an answer; DDNS are set for what you can do, I set 2 (no-ip and duckdns, also because I need them for the mail server etc. etc.) so I can't understand what you mean. But you did it ??? they work like on a synology right ??? otherwise they are answers that leave the time they find (indeed they waste time, I mean !!). Thank you

Apologies. Missed the notification

Can pick any XYZ ddns provider. I use google for mine as I have other services through them. Have also use noip before.

You'll set that up in control panel > external access > DDNS

From there, if you right click in file station > share, you'll be given an address similar to

http://mynas.ddns.net:5000/sharing/l9jfJ2xhg

And that's pretty much it. Make sure you have appropriate port forwarding rules on your router

Hello thanks, just yesterday I tested from WAN and everything works correctly, as in my previous post I was wrong not to put the DDNS domain on the configuration I posted, even if a question arises ..., in this way it is sent in I turn the address and the relative port of the machine (which does not happen with an original system), if it goes into the wrong hands it could become a problem, you have to work with very very tight permissions !!!! Thank you

On 4/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, PincoPalla said:

Hello thanks, just yesterday I tested from WAN and everything works correctly, as in my previous post I was wrong not to put the DDNS domain on the configuration I posted, even if a question arises ..., in this way it is sent in I turn the address and the relative port of the machine (which does not happen with an original system), if it goes into the wrong hands it could become a problem, you have to work with very very tight permissions !!!! Thank you

How I have mine set up:

uPnP disabled on router

Port forward only things I use to the nas

In the nas:

Then firewall setting to allow all LAN
Then firewall setting to only allow traffic from US/CA
Then firewall setting to block all.

Behavior is such that

If lan traffic, allow

Elseif US/CA, allow

Else block all

Other points:

Disable default admin account

Enforce strong passwords

Enable blocking of repeated login attemps

Non-admin users should have permissions stripped so they only have access to required folders / applications

Dockers are great

Enable 2fa, particularly for admin accounts