XPEnology Community

How to upgarde to bigger HDD without re-intall and re-config

DHD

Hi all,

I have one system running Surveilance Station only with one HDD installed and have a plan to upgrade HDD to bigger ones.

So, how to upgarde to bigger HDD without re-intall and re-config everything?

My imaging is:

1. Turn off system, replace old HDD (1) by bigger HDD (2).

2. Install DSM on HDD 2 -> DSM will creat partition layout for HDD 2.

3. Use Ubuntu to copy/replace all contents from HDD 1 to HDD 2.

4. Plug HDD 2 and start system with bigger HDD :grin:

P.s clone HDD with Norton GHOST, Ghostzilla, Acronis True Image then extend DATA partition by Ubuntu patition manager, Partition Magic will get an error :"|

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Guest

Hi all,

I have one system running Surveilance Station only with one HDD installed and have a plan to upgrade HDD to bigger ones.

So, how to upgarde to bigger HDD withoud re-intall and re-config everything?

My imaging is:

1. Turn off system, replace old HDD (1) by bigger HDD (2).

2. Install DSM on HDD 2 -> DSM will creat partition layout for HDD 2.

3. Use Ubuntu to copy/replace all contents from HDD 1 to HDD 2.

4. Plug HDD 2 and start system with bigger HDD :grin:

P.s clone HDD with Norton GHOST, Ghostzilla, Acronis True Image then extend DATA partition by Ubuntu patition manager, Partition Magic will get an error :"|

Thank you for your help!

As long as you only have one drive that's more or less your only option. Just connect HDD 1 to another PC or use a USB->SATA adapter and transfer all the files after re-installing DSM.

If you need a tutorial for installing XPenology the right way (using valid serial and mac), take a look at the link in my signature. :smile:

Hi all,

So, how to upgarde to bigger HDD withoud re-intall and re-config everything?

As long as you only have one drive that's more or less your only option. Just connect HDD 1 to another PC or use a USB->SATA adapter and transfer all the files after re-installing DSM.

If you need a tutorial for installing XPenology the right way (using valid serial and mac), take a look at the link in my signature. :smile:

Thank you for your reply!

But I don't want to re-install packges and re-config all. Thereforce, I have to copy all system and data partitions also.

I would just export the settings from DSM. That would include most settings.

If you need to backup packages just make a copy of the @appstore directory (Use WinSCP or similar for that).

I would never ever replace system files. The risk of messing stuff up is quite high...