XPEnology Community

HP Z220 CMT WORKSTATION

Onynem

Question

Hello, I would like to ask if I would be able to run baremetal on HP Z220 CMT with Xeon 1240v2. I have already tried a lot of loader versions, changed everything according to the tutorial. But it seems the USB stick boots, then all usb ports get disconnected and no NAS can be found using find.synology. I had it running using VM, but I would really like to run it baremetal. Any suggestions, tips? Thanks in advance

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Onynem said:

. Any suggestions, tips?

cpu is ivy bridge, to old for 1.04b 918+

loader 1.03b needs csm mode in uefi bios and the boot device needs to be the non uefi usb boot device

hp desktops often need mbr version of the loader to work

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

you can also try loader 1.02b for dsm 6.1, that one works uefi and csm/legacy, bur would still need to be mbr version

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

cpu is ivy bridge, to old for 1.04b 918+

loader 1.03b needs csm mode in uefi bios and the boot device needs to be the non uefi usb boot device

hp desktops often need mbr version of the loader to work

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

you can also try loader 1.02b for dsm 6.1, that one works uefi and csm/legacy, bur would still need to be mbr version

Thanks for fast reply. I managed to run 5.2 baremetal. WIll I be now able to just upgrade using the mentioned loader for 3617 even i used 3615 before? Or should I just do a Clean install? I dont rly care about 6.2, I would like to test the 6.1 without USB tutorial.

1 hour ago, Onynem said:

Thanks for fast reply. I managed to run 5.2 baremetal. WIll I be now able to just upgrade using the mentioned loader for 3617 even i used 3615 before? Or should I just do a Clean install? I dont rly care about 6.2, I would like to test the 6.1 without USB tutorial.

loaders for 5.x and 6.x are very different and you need the different loader when changing dsm version as every loader is specific to the main dsm version (6.0, 6.1, 6.2)

you can do "migrations" between dsm types (like 3615, 3617, ...) but having a fresh install with out any settings with 5.2 does not make sense to upgrade, start over with 6.1, might be easier and if you master this and still willing to try the do a fresh install with 6.2

i's suggest reading the faq and the 6.1 tutorial

14 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

loaders for 5.x and 6.x are very different and you need the different loader when changing dsm version as every loader is specific to the main dsm version (6.0, 6.1, 6.2)

you can do "migrations" between dsm types (like 3615, 3617, ...) but having a fresh install with out any settings with 5.2 does not make sense to upgrade, start over with 6.1, might be easier and if you master this and still willing to try the do a fresh install with 6.2

i's suggest reading the faq and the 6.1 tutorial

I have already tried many loaders with many versions up to 6.2. Just not the reworked MBR versions you have mentioned. So I will do it once more fresh with the new Loader and dsm you have pointed me to.