XPEnology Community

DSM can't find physical disk

HindicatoR

But then DSM didn't recognize it.

It's not on 0:0, Boot is 0:0, another virtual disk partition on 0:1 and physical drive on 0:2.

If you can guide me to another method it will be great :D

btw, on dsm i'm using only 1 volume and it's with this 1physical disk.

Edited by HindicatoR

39 minutes ago, HindicatoR said:

Boot is 0:0, another virtual disk partition on 0:1 and physical drive on 0:2.

If you can guide me to another method it will be great :D

What are you doing with the virtual disk partition then?

And, how are you using the physical drive - via RDM?  Because you can't otherwise attach a physical drive to a virtual controller with ESXi.

If you have more than two controllers of any type available to the VM, there may be issues that need manual configuration.  This can happen when trying to build virtual systems and extra virtual controllers get added - or when you have a controller for the boot loader, a virtual controller for a virtual disk, and a passthrough controller.

Something doesn't quite make sense.  You'll need to provide more details on your configuration for any corrective advice.

3 hours ago, flyride said:

What are you doing with the virtual disk partition then?

And, how are you using the physical drive - via RDM?  Because you can't otherwise attach a physical drive to a virtual controller with ESXi.

If you have more than two controllers of any type available to the VM, there may be issues that need manual configuration.  This can happen when trying to build virtual systems and extra virtual controllers get added - or when you have a controller for the boot loader, a virtual controller for a virtual disk, and a passthrough controller.

Something doesn't quite make sense.  You'll need to provide more details on your configuration for any corrective advice.

Well, I used the virtual disk only to be able to install the DSM becuase it didn't recognize the physical one before.
Physical disk is connected with SATA connection. no controller configured.

image.thumb.png.81ee0416c69960ee8ee36dc86a0abe6d.png

image.png.ca1ea2ec5c442f4d29426459fd09f924.png

image.thumb.png.da2394da2c337d1d25add07b6f8a5399.png

Only one volume is configured, using only Drive 3.

Edited by HindicatoR

This isn't ESXi, it's VMWare Workstation, right?  I am not as familiar with that environment; the general tutorials are specific to ESXi.

It looks to me that despite the UI showing a "physical disk" it's creating an RDM reference as the disk in DSM is a "VMWare Virtual Disk" and connected with the virtual SATA controller, not the physical.

So at the moment it looks like you have a single virtual SATA controller with a loader vmdk as 0:0, a VMDK you don't want or need as 0:1 and the RDM to your physical disk on 0:2.  As I said before, that may cause problems with slots (expansion) and synoboot (upgrades) in the future.  But if it is working for you now, I guess you can just use it as is.

Alternatively, learn more about how disks and controllers are functioning within VMWare Workstation, or switch to actual ESXi.