XPEnology Community

JBOD or Raid?

iruindegi

I recently bought MicroServer g8 and I have xpenology installed by ESXI in a 8gb USB and a datastore on a 320GB hard disk. I have now added a new hard drive, WD Green 2TB with the passthough method.

Now it's time to create volumes in DSM right?? I can see that I have 3 discs (USB where esxi is, the 320GB disk where the VM are (debian and XPenology) and the new WD 2TB disk.

I don´t know what is the best option so I click next all the time during the volume wizard, so I think I created a single raid but I´m not going nothing more (I can delete the volume if necesary) until I know that I´m doing it right.

Given that I will gradually adding more disks, which is the most optimal? How would you do it ??? disc are formated on ext4 right?

One more question, is it posible to unplug one hard drive from de HP microserver and plug it to another computer to read/write ?

Thanks in advance

Unless you absolutely need the storage space, avoid using JBOD and use a RAID array since this is exactly what the NAS is for. As you add more drives, Synology's disk manager can add and expand the array as needed. It's a very straight forward process once you get there. RAID1 at a minimum, RAID5 if there are not enough drives available and space is a premium, or RAID10 if you just want performance and don't have a terribly large amount of data to handle.

No. The data won't make sense without the other drives. ie: one file could be written across multiple drives - that's why a battery backup is so important, a power outage could corrupt all of your data if it were writing while it glitches. (Only takes once to learn the lesson)

If you need something to "unplg", use a USB drive that is not part of the raid.