XPEnology Community

ONLY 16 Threads ON DS3617XS with E5-2678V3

ggoette

Hi Everybody... I've been using XPENOLOGY since Version 5.2 ... I've been migrating from a small intel i3-4170 to a Chinese x99 with a XEON E5-2678V3...

My CPU has 12 cores with 24 threads... but My NAS is only working with 16 threads.... but can detect that there are 12 cores.

image.png.72e26067d94976beb08258427dc80d73.png

cat /proc/cpuinfo show cpu from 0 to 15

image.png.a859a0c1986d135cb1b05fcd073b0b52.png

Don't know what is wrong.... Kernel limitation?

Even I've been using my NAS for years, this is my first enter in the forum, so please forgive me if this is not the correct topic to ask such a question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

23 minutes ago, ggoette said:

Don't know what is wrong.... Kernel limitation?

yes, xpenology uses the original dsm kernel (for different reasons) so you are bound to the limits of the dsm type you are using

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

atm you user 8 real cores and 8 HT "virtual cores" (~20-25% of  a real core for a HT core) so its ~10 core performave atm

when disabling HT in bios you will have real 12 cores (of the ~15 core performace you could expect of that 12+12 cpu)

if you want to stay with DSM you could use a hypervisor like esxi or proxmox and have 2 DSM VM's to make use of all cpu power

depending on you use case you can also consider a baremetal install of open media vault

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 7:47 PM, IG-88 said:

yes, xpenology uses the original dsm kernel (for different reasons) so you are bound to the limits of the dsm type you are using

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

atm you user 8 real cores and 8 HT "virtual cores" (~20-25% of  a real core for a HT core) so its ~10 core performave atm

when disabling HT in bios you will have real 12 cores (of the ~15 core performace you could expect of that 12+12 cpu)

if you want to stay with DSM you could use a hypervisor like esxi or proxmox and have 2 DSM VM's to make use of all cpu power

depending on you use case you can also consider a baremetal install of open media vault

Thanks for your response...