XPEnology Community

XPenology on VPS (Contabo)

theoxis

Hi all!

I figured, the noob lounge would be the perfect place for a question like this. 
Can imagine this question has been asked before, however searching for 'VPS' didn't give me any results on the forum.

Anyway, I have fair knowledge of Debian / Ubuntu and have been using a Synology NAS for years now. Always original products.

I have been using the cheap VPS's from Contabo for some time as they have descent storage and good price/quality for performance.

As I really like the Synology ease of use / interface, I was wondering if it would be at all possible to install this on a VPS? While setting up a VPS I can select an OS, but I don't think I can choose anything custom. I'd like to know of it is at all possible to install XPenology on a VPS and if anyone has experience doing so :)

Thanks for your reply!

On 3/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, theoxis said:

VPS I can select an OS,

as long as you cant have your own boot image (loader) in don't see how that will be possible

i do remember there where some discussions in the german section about using cloud based virtual servers

might have been this one

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/27798-xpenology-auf-einem-root-server-kvm-qemu/