XPEnology Community

Still have DSM 6.1.7-15284. Should I update?

SergeS

Hello everybody.

I have HP Microserver GEN8 with Xeon E3 processor. Still sitting on DSM 6.1.7-15284 (ds3615xs) from 2018/05/19.

Most usage is as home file server, hyper backup, Photo Station, media server, vpn server.

Did not update DSM for few years so lost some track of news here, sorry. I do not even remember what bootloader I have there...

What benefits will I get if will upgrade to newer DSM? What version do you suggest to upgrade to? And what bootloader to use?

The same question for my old (backup) NAS which is HP Microserver GEN7 with native amd processor, currently having the same DSM as mentioned above.

p.s. forgot to mention: GEN8 has free Let's Encrypt certificate, and they sent me recently notice my client is using obsoleted ACMEv1 protocol which they stops to support soon. They suggested to switch to ACMEv2. Will DSM upgrade help with this issue?

Edited by SergeS

dsm 6.2 does support ACMEv2 but you could also try this

https://workit.kz/synology-dsm-6-1-xpenology-lets-encrypt-acmev1-to-acmev2/

27 minutes ago, SergeS said:

What benefits will I get if will upgrade to newer DSM?

more recent security updates

if you dont miss anything, you microserver is not going to work much better in its basic tasks

29 minutes ago, SergeS said:

The same question for my old (backup) NAS which is HP Microserver GEN7 with native amd processor, currently having the same DSM as mentioned above.

afair also the older amd version run with 6.2 (3615/17) you could check here for reports

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/